1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shaking Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mangoe12, Apr 10, 2010.

1. mangoe12

mangoe12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2009 Prius shakes every time I start the engine in the morning, or even on a hot day when sitting idle for hours in the parking lot. Sometimes it shakes when waiting at the Stop Light. The Toyota dealer can't find anything wrong, or in my opinion, they don't know what to do. I don't think the technicians know enough to handle high tech stuffs. The shaking lasts only a few secs, but enough to bother. Any advise?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When the engine (ICE) is cold, it will cause a shudder when starting or stopping. It will go away when the ICE has warmed. It's normal.

3. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes I find the first time the engine stops on a cold day is a very 'violent' stop. but once everything warms up the stops are much less noticeable.

is your prius-
    -shaking all the time??
    -or only when stopped??
    -or only when the engine is starting/stopping automatically??

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might get a second opinion from another dealer to be certain. But this does sound normal.

Do you ever shift the car to Neutral?

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    This is definitely different from my 2009. There are normal rough stops depending on the warm up stages of the engine, but I never have any rough starts. If you really experience rough starts every time you start the engine, then you should go to a different dealer and have it checked out. Good luck!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it new? how many miles? when did it start? "rough" is in the eye of the beholder.