1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Share your experiences !!!!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by fredthepostman, Feb 18, 2009.

1. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In about 3 months I WILL be getting my new 2010 Prius. What I would like is for a few people to share their experiences of the first month or so in their Prius. What was it like? Was there something you wished you new before hand? I have owned quite a few new cars but for some reason I think this one will be different. Please share!!!! :D

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A big goofy smile while driving. I still get it.

3. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You mean for people to share their experiences from the first month of driving a 2010? Or any prius?

For me, I'm still within the first month of owning my 2009 lol. The first week of driving it, I'd admit, I was a little disappointed. The car felt very plush almost disconnected to the road. It definitely wasn't the sports car I imagined I'd drive when I was a kid (I'm 28, most guys my age are driving so called "fun" cars like Lancer, Honda SI, WRX, GTI, etc). And my initial mpg rating was downright horrible.

But like my brother said, "When it comes to mpg, the Prius is like wine - it gets better with time. Once the car is broken in, it improves." Very true. Once I've gotten used to feel of the car, I learned to enjoy its quiet comfort. Between the cold weather warming up, increasing tire pressure, passing breakin period, and the wealth of awesome info here on driving techniques, my MPGs have gotten drastically better over time.

I find myself getting up earlier in the morning anticipating the drive to work, and leaving work later at night just so I can "hypermile" without disturbing other motorists. I love the car THAT much lol. Every bump on the road seems to physically hurt me more than the car, and I still go to sleep with a smile on my face knowing that my baby is safely tucked in for the night in the garage.

Ehhrm. I just read that over. Do I need to seek help?

4. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What you wrote was exactly what I was looking for!!!

5. Bill1

Bill1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You are right, this one is definitly different - in a good way. I am a newbie. Like Danl, I purchaced my 2009 Prius less than a month ago after going through the "get a 2009 now or wait for a 2010" debate with myself.

Thanks to this forum, I have learned many things about my new Prius that the dealer and owners manual do not discuss. Examples include - how to drive to optimize mpg and not annoy other drivers; filling up the bladder tank slowly (not a issue for the 2010); and how to turn off that darn beeping when in reverse. Even though I am still learning how the drive the Prius, I am enjoying it every time I drive.

I have also become addicted to the MFD. Does anyone know if there a cure for this? I switch between the Consumption and Energy Monitor screens and look at them both way too often. I think I am just continually amazed to be getting 50+ mpg during my daily commute.

Enjoy!

6. Rosie74

Rosie74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Oh so true! I can't believe how mesmerizing the MFD can be! :eek:

I am also a newbie and just purchased my 2008 Touring pkg 6.
    I LOVE every single mile of it!
    I also learned a lot of different tricks to make my drive better, and achieve higher MPG, as well as improve the comfort by tweaking a few things like no more backup beeping and a hood for my MFD to reduce the glare.
    This site and forum have all the information you can possibly need to make the best out of this car!
    I've had my Prius for 2 weeks and I am amazed to see how much I like driving it! And yes.. I talk to her, so insanity might sneak up on me anytime now!

:welcome:

7. wicastawakan

wicastawakan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This pretty much sums it up. New owner of 2008 December 23, 08. I drive 7 miles to work (one way). I averaged 1,400 miles per month on my old car / 165,000+ miles.

I have driven my Prius 7,000 miles! Over twice as much driving as my old car. I jus thoroughly enjoy driving my car!

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  9. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    WOW!!!!!!!!!! This is super! I am still in the process of reading your log. It is just great. I am on my second cup of coffee, hoping to finish sometime today. I am wondering if you are going to get the 2010? Are you one of the lucky ones on the pre-order? Anyway, thanks for the story. I hope I will enjoy my Prius half as much as everyone on this site.:)

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup! Hopefully by mid-June, you'll have another set of first experiences to read about. I'll be sharing photos too.

11. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Super!!! I will be looking forward to them. Thanks:rockon:

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I had my old car I went on a driving holiday once in a few years, since I got my 2004 Prius 19 months ago I have been from Adelaide to;
    Alice Springs
    Townsville
    Head of the Bight
    and next weekend I'm off to Melbourne to see the new Prius, the Aussie version.
    I have done many other trips I'd as well. I camp in the car and I no longer ride my motor bike.
    I've done 54,000km in that 19 months, my last car I did 25,000 a year.

13. nascrlvr

nascrlvr nascrlvr

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I must confess, Danl, that I feel like you do. I named my Prius "Eleanor". I guess it's a girl thing. Anyway, I just got back from my first road trip with her. She turned 1000 miles on the way home. I got 52 mpg on the trip and I thought that was good for her first, not-really-broken-in-yet venture. I've come full circle with car ownership too. I had previously owned 4 Mustangs and have now been enlightened to the joys of trying to hyper-mile. I think Eleanor is a techno-marvel. I am fascinated by all the perks she has. It took me a while too to get used to the car, but now I totally love it!!!