1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shark Fin Antenna

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Apr 1, 2007.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my install of the Shark Fin Antenna bought at the PriusChat Shop. Installation was easy and the end result looks perfect. This is what Toyota should have put on the car in the first place. I dont know how bad reception will be because I never use the radio. I always listen to my MP3 player and when I get my PC installed I will be listing to MP3s via the PC. I bought the shark fin antenna purely for the looks. I created this topic just for my reference but feel free to comment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Conine

Conine New Member

looks good man, i need to get one!

3. just_marci

just_marci New Member

I would love to read some feedback on reception strength at some point. I largely listen to CDs but throw the radio on for a change of pace. It's rather hilly around here, so I would hate to lose signal for looks.

But damn...they do look nice.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(just_marci @ Apr 1 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]416050[/snapback]</div>
    You might want to take a look at http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=18702

Largely it depends on the radio frequency and signal strength. One person may say they have no problems, while someone in another area has lost their favorite station.

5. willha418

willha418 New Member

I noticed a huge drop of reception with the shark fin antenna. Sometimes when I go under a bridge or overpass, it gets real distorted... oh well.. atleast it looks good :D

6. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My shark fin antenna reception is great.

7. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine looks and works fine. I did notice a slight decline in reception on the weaker stations however. I'll post some pictures tomorrow B)

Lee

8. just_marci

just_marci New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 1 2007, 04:50 PM) [snapback]416090[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, that thread popped up down there under "similar topics". (Handy feature, that.) I may take a chance on one since I don't do a lot of distance driving. I think most of the stations I listen to would have a strong enough signal to overcome any degradation from the fin.

9. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is my Shark Fin B)[​IMG]

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 1 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]416090[/snapback]</div>
    I am wondering if maybe a compromise (between the factory whip antenna and the shark fin) might be the stub antenna such as is on the Honda S2000. Anyone with experience with a S2000 stub antenna?

11. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 1 2007, 04:50 PM) [snapback]416090[/snapback]</div>

I would fall into the classification of 'One person who says they have no problems.' and it doesn't have the problem that the whip does in automatic car washes (if you're into that. personally, i would never take any car of mine in there!!) and it looks many many times better!

Another good user poll based on experience: effects negative, effects negligible, effects positive (?).

12. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Apr 8 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]419842[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I put an S2000 antenna on my Honda Odyssey. Reception is just as good as the original 3 ft whip. However, the S2000 stub won't fit on the Prius, I already checked :(

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ari @ Apr 9 2007, 08:45 AM) [snapback]420283[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm. I put on a 2003 S2000 stub antenna today that I had purchased for my MINI and apart from the base of the S2000 antenna being larger than the base of the Prius whip antenna, everything fits and works fine. Since I have black exterior paint, the larger antenna base is really a non-issue for me. It would seem to be time to order a second S2000 stub antenna - the MINI wants its antenna back. :)

14. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Apr 10 2007, 12:45 AM) [snapback]420659[/snapback]</div>
    Really? I looked at the threads, and they didn't match. Perhaps one could force it on anyway and cross-thread it, but that's not for me. Anyone else willing to try? If there's a version that works, I'm all for it.

15. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< 2½ years ago, when I bought my original 2004 Prius, I replaced the whip antenna with a 2" STUB antenna, in part for carwash convenience. Bought it on eBay - Search on Prius Antenna. Around the Dallas Metroplex, I notice no drop in reception, but when I drive cross-country, I replace the whip. I moved the stub antenna to my 2007 Touring Edition when I traded the 2004.

[attachmentid=7417]
    [attachmentid=7418]

Attached Files:

16. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ari @ Apr 10 2007, 08:12 AM) [snapback]420791[/snapback]</div>
    No cross threading at all. Just twist it on like the factory whip. Same number of turns - I didn't count them, but if it was cross threaded, it would have stopped after 2 or 3. The 2003 S2000 stub antenna that I used turns freely until you get down to the base of the antenna mount. Then things tighten up - just like with the oem whip. The only "issue" is the base of the stub antenna is maybe 1/16-inch wider than the top of the antenna mount, giving a slight bulging perspective. On a black car such as mine, the bulging is not noticeable. The best part is that FM radio reception is the same as before (I tested by driving out of the area until the station I was tuned to dropped out). The drop-out point was less than 1/4 mile from where the drop-out point was with the oem whip antenna.

There may be a difference with the newer S2000 antennas; when I purchased the stub antenna for the MINI, the Honda parts person asked what I was using the antenna for. After learning about the MINI application, they suggested the 2003 edition of the S2000 antenna.

17. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just got mine installed last week and I think it looks great... At least for me there has been some loss of reception... mostly affecting one of the few stations I usually hear... however... Im used to the ipod so I'll trade looks for reception anyday haha :D

I just got mine installed last week and I think it looks great... At least for me there has been some loss of reception... mostly affecting one of the few stations I usually hear... however... Im used to the ipod so I'll trade looks for reception anyday haha :D

18. blackprius2007

blackprius2007 New Member

Hi all,

I am considering to buy a shark fin antenna. Noticed that priuscat.com accessories shop is selling for $62. On Ebay I found a link where it's going for $9.99 + $5 (shipping). Wondering if it'll work on my Prius. Here's the link: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=

Has anyone tried buying from sources other than Priuschat.com accessories? If so, what price did you pay?

19. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GB Prius @ Apr 27 2007, 11:19 PM) [snapback]431483[/snapback]</div>
    If you dont need radio reception this would be good but the seller lists it as "non-functioning dummy antenna" Plus if you wanted to match the color of your car.

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GB Prius @ Apr 27 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]431483[/snapback]</div>
    Note that it says "dummy" antenna. Meaning, I presume, it's a plastic shell.
    The one sold here has at least a small antenna built in that offers some reception. Also, it's got a big enough space to allow you to fit it over the base of your OEM antenna....I'm concerned that those dummies won't fit over the base and then you'd have to remove that too. Finally, you can get the paint to exactly match the Prius from the Priusshop version.

If I had a black 95 honda accord I might go for the dummy, but the ones sold here are very nice, promotes this site, will exactly match your car.
    [​IMG]