1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

shark fin problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Jahn, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Jahn

Jahn New Member

hello, i bought a shark fin from this site about 2-3 weeks ago and now i have a problem. i installed the shark fin accordingly goin by specific directions given to me via the little piece of paper that was included. everything was fine until yesterday when i looked at the shark fin itself and saw that it had came loose. the sticky thin black strip that goes around the bottom of the shark fin came lose on one side but the other side is still attached -- so it's currently half attached to my prius. the other problem is it seems like some of the strip had melted and it's left stuck on the roof real nasty looking. now, my questions are how would i go about removing this black strip from my roof without scratching the roof up and what can i replace the black strip with so this will never happen again?

2. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jahn @ Dec 14 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]362414[/snapback]</div>
    When I removed my sharkfin antenna to hide my Sirius satelite antenna underneath, I had the same problem with the adhesive sticking to the car. I purchased some adhesive remover (Goo Gone) and everything came off nice and easy. After i removed the adhesive I washed the area with some car wash detergent just to wash off any chemicals that might lingered.

As for getting a replacement 3M Adhesive gasket, contact [email protected]
    They charged me $8.00 shipped. I originally ordered in March 06 so i'm not sure if the prices have changed.

Hope this helps.

3. Jahn

Jahn New Member

are they really going to charge be 8 bloody dollars? honestly now, it has only been a couple of weeks, and the thing has already gotten loose. i don't see how it is my fault; i park my car in the shade, haven't really gotten any rain lately... IT CAN'T BE THE NORMAL WEATHER NOW COULD IT? :angry:

4. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am shocked to hear that the fin came loose. I installed mine by following their directions and preparing the roof by cleaningit thoroughly with an alcohol wipe and then making sure everythinbg was clean and dry and stuck it in the roof and it is not budging at all. Write or call them and explain your problem and maybe they will "good will: you a new installation gasket. Never hurts to ask. Good luck.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i just got my fin yesterday and will be putting it on this morning and taking a road trip to test it (Raymond, WA IF the roads are still passable!@!)

i guess the key here is to heat to room temp and compress. i think, since its cold out (i am garaged and have two portable heaters running right now to warm up the place) is to warm up the application area. for me, i think i will continue to heat as i compress the fin on just to make sure i get a good melt and bond.

i too, am a bit concerned about the fin staying on as the adhesive does not look substantial in anyway to me but several dozen people have it here and this is the first problem post i have seen

6. Jahn

Jahn New Member

wait explain this compression method of yours; heat the area up then..?

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well wait i did, was preheat area with blow dryer. apply fin. hold down with one hand, spend a few minutes continuing to heat around the edge. directions say apply front end, hold a minute. then apply pressure to rear half, hold a minute or two. i feel that with heat applied during hold down process, i have a better chance of the adhesive getting a good set. it is recommended that it be applied at room temperature, it was about 40º when i did mine.

well its been on a week, have made a few 50+ mile trips at freeway speeds, no issues so far. reception seems to be as good as the antenna.