1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

shattered window

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by davedog, Dec 4, 2006.

1. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this past weekend, someone shattered my driver's side window, looked in the glove compartment and found/stole my camera and cellphone.

i know i was stupid for leaving those things in my car, but they are out of sight. so at least the people/person who broke into the car found what they wanted and ran-- like they didn't do any extra damage to anything else.

anyway, i wasn't sure what to do, so in case something terrible like this happens to anyone else (i hope not! *knocks on wood*), keep this in mind:

1- reporting it at the police station is a good idea. but can take a lot of time, especially without a cellphone. the best bet would be to get a pen & paper, write down where you are, what happened, etc. then drive the car to the nearest station to report it in person.

2- someone correct me, but i think it's really not worth dealing with insurance for something that's less than 200 bucks. first of all, there is probably some deductible. second, there's probably some limit to the cases you can have in some period of time. third of all, your premium may rise depending on cases you have. keep this all in mind--and the fact that you are responsible (within your contract with the insurance companies) to report any/all cases to them, even if it means you lose money in the short or long run! so blah.

3- getting things repaired. i was really lucky to call around and find a really good deal. this place called safelite glass on whipple road in union city cost about 200 (a little less) for the replacement window and the service. they did it in an hour... and they could have come and did it on site (my job, home) if i waited an extra day. anyway, the value of the window itself is more than 200 at other places + labor $$$$ could really be a rip off. so i'm glad i found this place.

ok that's all. safe driving prii ppl =)

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You pretty much did everything right. reporting it at the station helps with any insurance claims you might have, and proves you're a responsible owner.

As for insurance, it's really an individual call. Making claims can increase your payments, which sucks. Handling the small stuff yourself is generally considered best, as it doesn't effect your rates. Many/most places are recommending deductibles in the 500-1000$ price range, so it wouldn't help you with this anyways.

And also definitely call around before getting things repaired. It's important to find a good deal. for somethings, you can go with pretty much anyone, as you did... for others (like body work), you should make sure to go through your dealer to prevent additional problems down the road from people who don't know the precautions to take with a Prius (especially when welding is involved).

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not leaving stuff in the car is kinda like immunization: it works better if everyone does it.