1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shelf life of opened quart of Mobil 0W-20

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DetPrius, Sep 17, 2010.

1. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With many months between changes at the 10,000 mile interval, and the fact that it takes 4.5 quarts, I called Mobil to see what the shelf life is on an opened quart. I was told it is 1 year. He also said, you can pour it into a glass jar before use and if it is separated like vinegar and water, don't use it. He also said storing it in a climate controlled area like a basement rather than the garage would extend the shelf life.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow interesting.

Suprising answers. Given we are talking about a synthetic oil that is designed to protect your engine and exist in the internal operating enviroment of a functioning engine, I find it suprising that an untouched opened quart could separate like vinegar and water and be so strongly affected by such enviromental differences as basement or garage.

I mean it goes into your engine and potentially from very low tempatures to very high tempatures and yet storing it opened and untouched in your garage could cause it to separate?

Those were not answers I'd expect.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also am surprised to hear this. If true, I am surprised that 1) there is no date code on the bottle and 2) there is no warning advising the user to use or recycle the contents within one year after opening the bottle.

4. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was also surprised that it is this short. I remember asking Castrol the shelf of an unopened quart of "real" oil as I have in my garage for my generator and I think they said 4-5 years. The guy from Mobil that I spoke to today gave the answers right away without looking anything up, or he made it up. Maybe a 2nd call with the same questions would be interesting.

5. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have a few cans of Valvoline 20W50 oil stored in my garage for 25+ years, which I opened a can of it a few months ago. it still looks like brand new oil, no separation like OP described which I never heard of.

Attached Files:

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mobil says 5 years for unopened Mobil 1 Shelf Life of Unopened Mobil 1 Quarts

I suspect that is a very conservative answer, it will probably last several times that long if stored between 45 and 80 degrees F (temperatures from Amsoil site). I would think an open container that is kept clean and recapped right away would last just as long. If in doubt shake before use.

7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I remember my auto shop teacher in high school told us that gasoline turns into gel after a few decades of storage.

8. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gosh, after 90 days, send it to me! :dance:

9. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just emailed them the same question that I asked on the phone so we will see if I get the same answer.

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't buy it.

First of all, the oil may already be significantly old by the time its put into the car. Oil is not "sealed", its in a bottle but its not a sealer bottle like would be used for some food item. As long as its capped...an opened bottle of oil should last as long as an unopened bottle...