1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shell gas gives 7+ mpg still

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by problemchild, Dec 23, 2008.

1. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't know whats up with the shell gasoline but its far better then all other brands. I usually don't care what I burn so I will stop at the nearest station when I hit one bar. Last time it was a shell. I went from 41mpg on 76 gas to 48.8 on shell regular (the premium advantage seems to be gone now). After filling up with shell I drove home 55 miles and avg'd 51+. On all other brands I range in the 41-42 area. After driving in the city with a lot of cold starts/stops its now down to 48mpg.

What could possibley be different with shell that makes it so much better for mpg?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Perhaps no ethanol?

Tom

3. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I notice best mpg gains with shell also.

it's top tier for a reason and normally cost 15 cents more. The shells around here are still in the 1.80 range..while chevron and rebel (local) is cheaper.

4. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I also get the best MPG with Shell thats why I got a Shell credit card you earn a 5% rebate on gas purchases.. I had a BP gas card , but after learning that I got much better MPG with shell I canceled BP and went with shell only problem I have is there are not to many Shell stations around here.. :)

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could the station be on top of a hill?
    I get better mileage from the service station on top of the hill.

6. voltman

voltman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Problemchild,I have also found "Shell" is better in my van. It runs better and the milage increased 3 per gallon.

7. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was using nothing but Shell due to the fact that I had great mpg results in my prior vehicle (about 1.5mpg more in it).About a month or so ago, I rolled up to my usual pump and before I got out I noticed the "Contains 10% Ethanol" sticker so I immediately left and went to Chevron (non-E10). The only stations that aren't E10 her now is the Marathon, Exxon, and the Chevron. I wanted to stick with Top-Tier so I went to Chevron. Not sure how this affected mileage due to break-in and driver break-in. I managed to pull 75mpg this past weekend with average temp in the mid-40's. Can't wait till summer. :D

8. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not sure what would give you those readings, but I'd be more convinced if that or similar increase over other brands was done under some lab controlled conditions and bias was removed from the testing:D