1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shield around exhaust pipe removed

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Glen McGregor, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Glen McGregor

Glen McGregor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Technology
    2016 Prius v from Canada.

I parked overnight in the street in Boston last weekend. The next day, I was hearing a rattling/grinding sound at low speed, 20-30 kms per hour, and when accelerating from a stop.

I had front and back brakes done a few days earlier so thought that might be it.

But when I got under the car, I saw what seemed to be the source of the noise: a sliver light metal “shield” that was resting on top of the exhaust pipe, about midway down the length of the vehicle.

I could move the piece around and it didn’t seem to be anchored to any other part of the car. At one end of the shield, closer to the engine, there are two holes that look to be bolt holes but no bolts.

By guess is that someone was trying to steal the catalytic converter and removed the shield, but maybe gave up or was interrupted.

I think the shield should be on the underside of the exhaust pipe but I’m not sure. And don’t know if this is something I could fix myself easily.

Any ideas?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That heat shield on top of the cat keeps heat from radiating into the cabin. They can work loose from corrosion.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is it the enlarged shield in the image, or one of the other shields above the exhaust system in the unzoomed image? Screenshot_20231024_164444_Google.jpeg Screenshot_20231024_164638_Google.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three