1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shift Knob made click

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by coyote2, Dec 9, 2013.

1. coyote2

coyote2 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This morning the Shift Knob made a click every time I selected a gear, for about an hour, then it went away.

It was colder than almost ever here (Berkeley, CA) last nite, 30F. But there was no click back in '05 at 10F (in Prudhoe Bay, AK).

Mechanics (even the dealership!) say not to worry--probably a plastic part--just advised me to shift gently.

I do like that this recourse is Free!

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's still working?

My guess is you have no problem here.

The Prius shifter isn't really shifting into gears, as much as it is inputting driving modes. That doesn't mean the "shifter" can't become damaged and cause problems, but if it is working in every respect except for this seemingly temperature related "click"? You are probably fine.

From many years of watching Thomas The Tank Engine, I would say you don't have a problem until you experience a "Clickety Clack".

3. coyote2

coyote2 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, everything is working. I was very relieved when I realized it was just the gear selector knob. I'm even more relieved to hear your reassurance!

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is not even a gear selector, as there are none to select. It is just a switch to tell the transmission control computer how to respond to the gas and brake pedals.

There are reports of the plastic flaps inside the switch getting warped over time and causing the knob to stick. They can be trimmed a bit if need be, after some disassembly.

5. coyote2

coyote2 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very helpful, thank you nh7o!