1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Shift to the P position when parked.The batteries will not charge in neutral." 12v OK, doors closed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusPaddler, Feb 8, 2022.

1. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    2009 Prius, 240k+

I did a crazy turn and burn to Oklahoma City and back recently from Minnesota. Car ran almost constantly for 36 hours (some at idle sleeping in a toll oasis). Hit a large raccoon somewhere north of Kansas City, but damage seems mostly cosmetic (horrid, but cosmetic).

Occasionally on the return part of the trip, I got a flashed error on the display screen that I could never quite read all the way through. Once home, I was more diligent and noted that it said: "Shift to the P position when parked.The batteries will not charge in neutral." The car would show that error message, produce a long beep, and then correct itself with no change in action from me. On rare occasions, the red triangle would show up and then go away.

Of note, I've narrowed it down to showing when I turn to the RIGHT with any amount of speed (going slowly does not trigger it).

I read about possibly a low 12v - mine was replaced last summer, so less than 1 year old. Also possibly a door open, but they are all closed and no other indicator that the car thinks a door is open.

I ran the System Check and noted the following:

On the first page in System Check Mode, the AUDIO has an orange button saying "CHEK" and yet, all audio appears to work fine.

After entering Vehicle Signal Check mode, the Battery showed 11.9V, but I think my lights were on (I leave them on) and the heater was on.

After hitting the power button again to "put a load on it", the Battery showed 11.4V, and after turning on wipers and rear defrost and headlights, the Battery showed 11.1V.

After hitting power button with brake on and entering Ready mode, Battery showed 13.9V.

What else should I check? I was wondering if there is any fluid that might trigger that error - if when I turn right, the fluid sloshes somewhere and a sensor notes the issue?? Otherwise, what else does turning RIGHT specifically do to cause that problem? I can't just turn left the rest of my car's life, lol.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Edited to add: I was told just before the trip that my water pump had leaked at some point and the liquid was crusted. That pump was new from dealer last summer, so I will be following up on that one. Can't imagine it's related, but that's the only other thing I can think of out of the ordinary.

#1 PriusPaddler, Feb 8, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is anything hanging from your shift lever?

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No, nothing and never.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe one of the door switches is defective. hatch?

5. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hmm, if so, does it hurt anything to drive it with the beeping and red triangle flashing every time I take a hard right turn?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, it's just a false safety warning. but if is preventing the battery from charging because it thinks it is in neutral, you won't be driving long.
    easy enough to tell from the battery icon.

7. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I guess we shall see!

bisco likes this.
  8. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked the engine oil level?

9. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm sorry I missed this when you first posted.

I have now driven a total of just under 3,000 miles since leaving for that crazy trip. My oil on a cold engine is 75% full between the dots on the stick.

That seems okay to me.

Also, I have now had all the body work done to repair things from the raccoon and the error is still showing. So if any wires were loose up there or it was something that was hit, it should hopefully have been repaired by now.

I haven't driven it for the 3 weeks it was in that shop. But of course on the first short trip home, it happened again every time I turned right.

Any other ideas?

10. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    More clues.

I can recreate the error when slowly driving and opening the driver's door (not the same opening passenger door).

I *might* be able to recreate by LEANING ON the driver's door when turning right.

Lubricated the latch on driver's door.

Now, when making a prolonged right turn, the doors all UNLATCH by themselves!

Body shop says car is old, not accident related. Hard to buy that. Started immediately after accident.

Raccoon hit driver's front crossing from right to left at highway (70+) speed.

11. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Seems it is definitely related to the actual door latch. I have been diligent at NOT leaning toward the door when turning right, and it has rarely been happening. When I get lazy, it happens again. Ah well, at least it's something I can live with!!

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Constantly leaning on the door is probably the cause.