1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shifter...What's the B for???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by slowpoke, May 12, 2004.

1. slowpoke

slowpoke New Member

Okay, so I know what the R, N, & D stands for, but what about the B? When is this used?

2. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "B" stands for "Braking" -- to be used the way you would downshift to make the engine slow the car while driving down a long steep incline.

3. peart75

peart75 New Member

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And it's being discussed in the "Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting" forum.

(Anyone else think that there are too many forums on this website? And why are there separate priusonline and priuschat websites?)

5. jasond

jasond New Member

Ooh ooh.. I can answer that one.

Because they're run by different people.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think I can help to answer it too :)

There are so many forums here at PriusChat because it helps the site remain organized and unclutterred. If you're looking for a solution to a bluetooth problem, the first place you should look is the Audio & Electronics forum, if you're looking to throw some mud flaps on, one should check out the Appearance Modifications forum.

When I created PriusChat it was basically because I was a member of the Yahoo Groups and was also a member of a few other message board-style communities. I saw that Prius owners & enthusiasts didn't have a place to create their own community. They were constrained by Yahoo on what they could do. So I created this site. It was only then that I found out about Priusonline. Their site was not very active and didn't have, in my opinion, what I wanted to see in an online community. Just like in the 2004-prius YG, I didn't see any leadership or any signs that things were going to change. As technologically savvy as most Prius owners are, I think they appreciate a place where what they suggest and say is listened to and that they have control over what goes on with the site.

3 people like this.
  7. 2012PriusBoy

2012PriusBoy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From What I UNderstand The "B" is to be Used when going down Steep Hills or Downgrades When Selector is in The "B" Mode it act's Like a Jake Brake Transferring more regenerative Braking Energy to the Battery than usual and helping slow Vehicle from the way I understood it....

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Jake brake uses the engine to 'waste' energy so the friction brakes do not heat up as much, you need not use B unless you need to waste energy to make it down the hill without boiling the brake fluid. (That would be BAD) If you need it to make it down the hill alive, who cares what your mileage is?

Someone at Toyota was too honest to call it L (it is not a lower gear ratio) but you use it when you would use L in an normal Automatic. (almost never)

Automatic transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Danny,
    I just want to tell you how much I appreciate this site and what you've done. The knowledge base here is invaluable and another benefit of owning a Prius. Keep up the great work and, don't change a thing. :)

PS: I always wondered who started this site. Now I know.