1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shifting out of gear in cold weather

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Daddee, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Daddee

Daddee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 Prius shifts into Neutral, "N", when I put it either into Drive, "D", or Reverse, "R", during Cold weather, mid 20's and below. It will only stay in "B" to drive, and I have to hold the shifter in "R" to back up or "D" to drive. After the car warms up while driving 15-20 minutes in "B", I can shift it into "D" and it will stay there. I normally start the car and let it warm up in the morning for 10-15 minutes on cold days, below 25F but still I'm only able to drive it in "B" until it's ready. I just moved to Montana after driving this car in normal Southern California driving conditions. It happened while vacationing in Montana during the winter of 2007 a few times but it didn't bother me since I wasn't living there. I reported to Toyota but they couldn't do anything since the weather wouldn't co-operate. This car is still under 70,000 miles.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Have you tried fresh ATF-WS? It is a drain and fill, no flush, no filter.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This sounds like a problem with the electronic shift lever. I suggest taking video of the problem when it happens, and produce this as evidence to the dealer. This is not a major problem just requiring the lever in the dash to be changed "a simple job", but I agree you should not have to pay for this repair.
    The shift mechanism is electronic and any gear selection from N to D to R to B is purely an electrical state within the transmission.
    Mechanically nothing changes. In simple terms, reverse is just a change of direction of the electric motor, neutral is no electrical supply to the motor.

John (Britprius)

#3 Britprius, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    GrumpyCabbie and *Goldfinger* like this.
  4. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    From what I've read, I agree with the shift lever diagnosis. I believe the rubber bezels/seals inside the shifter sufficiently harden at cold temperatures to cause unintended shifts.

5. Daddee

Daddee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, I have video'ed it and will bring these suggestions up with the dealership and Toyota Corporate.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Please let us know the final outcome of your problem. This is helpful to future posters with similar problems, and your input on anything Prius will always be welcome along with any questions you may have.
    It would be helpful if you gave your location in your avatar.

John (Britprius)

7. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's also an easy repair if Toyota ends up stiffing you. I'd do it for $10 and the part. The only trick is learning to take the dash apart the first time.

You definitely shouldn't have to pay a cent though. I'd also like to know how it goes with Toyota. For reference, I've never experienced anything similar; it's definitely not a normal Prius problem. Sounds like the shifter is just slightly out of spec and heating/cooling expansion/contraction throws something off the tiniest bit.

8. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious as to why he should expect to not have to pay for this repair, as his car is no longer under warranty. It would be great if he didn't have to pay of course, I'm just looking for the reasoning.
    Unfortunately for me, I came from the world of BMW ownership where MANY things are expected to break, and very little was ever covered by dealers. Never again!

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is definitely not normal, and the dealer needs to help you resolve it. This shouldn't happen at all, ever. If you can't reproduce it at the dealership, take a video of it happening.

Where I live, 25F isn't cold at all. The Prius is a car very well-suited to cold weather, and I've been through -25F weather already with no problems at all. I have no doubt that -40 will present no problems for it either.