1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shifting to "B" mode when stopping

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mdarby, May 12, 2006.

1. mdarby

mdarby Junior Member

I try to coast to a stop whenever possible, but when a little extra stopping power is needed, is shifting to "B" mode a smart strategy? Is a Prius' current momentum converted to battery charging power with the same efficiency as if one coasted in "D" mode?

[EDIT] I just saw a FAQ on this, which suggests to me that at lower speeds, "D" and "B" equivalently convert momentum to battery power, subject to an upper limit on the rate of charging. Since "B" is a more aggressive stop, it's more likely that regenerative braking in "B" will exceed that threshhold and thus "waste" potential regeneration. That is a potential downside with "B". But I am comparing braking to a full stop in "B" versus slowing in "D" and having to use friction brakes.

So, if I am stopping from about 45 mph, and can do so completely with "B" regerantive braking, I assume that's more efficient than using "D" and not slowing completely thus forcing use of friction brakes.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    My 2 cents worth: just drive and brake normally.

Use B mode only for long downhills where the battery fills to max and friction brakes HAVE to be used. Engaging B mode then uses engine compression to slow u, thus limiting use of friction brakes. Any other situation and regen will be reduced, since engine braking does NOT recharge the battery. B)

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Stopping with the brakes is far more efficient (in terms of regen) than using the B mode. B mode is like 1 or L on other cars as it uses the ICE (with no fuel consumption) to assist in stopping. Don't worry about friction brakes kicking in. They won't engage unless you pratically stand on the brake pedal. For comparison, when using B mode to stop, it will maybe generate 20-30 amps while regular regen braking will see 70-90 amps of regen.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    B mode throws away power by spinning the ICE in a high drag state. Don't use B unless you need to dump power, such as a long, steep downhill.

Tom

5. mdarby

mdarby Junior Member

Thanks to all, that's amazingly concise and clear.

I look forward to getting better mileage!

6. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

You can shift to B in order to slow down when apporaching a light. No one has shown that it'll do any harm. If you shift to B, after you stop shift to N and then to D, and 8 out of 10 times the ICE will immediately shut down.

I don't buy all the talk about the friction brakes not working except in emergency stops or below 8 mph. I belive that they work much more frequently, just by listening to the typical pad-rotor contact noise when braking.

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ May 12 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]254427[/snapback]</div>
    How do you explain the cold rotors after miles of driving?

Here is what Toyota has to say on the matter.
    "Paul Williamsen, curriculum development manager of Toyota Motor Sales, said the regenerative braking is the greatest contributor to the HSD’s fuel-efficiency gains. Williamsen, who manages technical training for Toyota dealers and technicians, said the new system exploits the regenerative braking so much better that the conventional brake pads and shoes may never come in contact with their discs and drums under normal driving conditions. "

8. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mdarby @ May 13 2006, 06:33 AM) [snapback]254356[/snapback]</div>
    Just a moment, please. :)

No one mentioned the speed when to use the B mode.
    Using B mode above 35km/h(22MPH), the ICE spins, but the ICE does not spin when you switch to B below 35km/h.
    Shifting to B below 35km/h is very common improving regenration technique among Japanese mileage enthusiast.

Ken@Japan

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ May 12 2006, 11:02 PM) [snapback]254535[/snapback]</div>
    I recall reading that technique is a hold-over from the Gen I Prius, which was not nearly as good about regen braking as the current models. Correct me if I am wrong.

Tom

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ May 12 2006, 10:02 PM) [snapback]254535[/snapback]</div>

If the ICE is still turning B-mode will make it continue to turn even below 20mph. It will force it to turn at any speed above 20 even if it was off.

I question the utility of B-mode below 20 with the ICE not spinning. I don't think it does any better of a job of regeneration than careful application of the brakes (even in Japan!).

Now, my dirty little secret.... I sometimes use B-mode as I'm approaching a stop. As one's speed drops below ~10mph with the foot off the accelerator a little bit of power (1-2 amps) will be drained to sustain the forward roll. If, OTOH, at about 10mph you drop into B-mode you'll instead see a tiny bit of regen!..Again, 1-2 amps only, and only until you hit 7mph where you'll see a drain again until you stop. This probably matters not at all...but I'm a nerd.

11. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ May 12 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]254427[/snapback]</div>
    There has been extensive testing done on this. I remember there was a page that had gobs of info on the Prius and it's HSD system. It was proven that that the gen-2 Prius didn't apply friction brakes until the brake pedal was almost pressed all the way down. The author was a hardcore Prius geek and his brake pads showed almost no wear after many miles on the odometer. Perhaps someone here would be kind enough to post a link to that site as I have lost it.

EDIT: found the link.... here it is, folks: http://privatenrg.com/#100kBrakePads