1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shifting to Park on long lights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Harold Selassi, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Harold Selassi

Harold Selassi New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all,

I have a long commute with about 5 long lights (1-2 mins) in it. In my old car, I would just shift to Neutral and relax, but the manual says that is a big no-no in the Prius. So, I was wondering, it is OK to put it in Park instead? The Prius C manual (I read both manuals while I was deciding which one to buy) says Park is a bad as Neutral, but the Prius Gen III manual does not say much and one line even hints that shifting to Park is OK when at a long standstill. Hopefully I can bet a better reply from those with more experience (I found the manual good on disclaimers and weak on useful information).

Thanks,
    /s Harry

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When in "P", you have to press the brake to shift into "D". One more step that could go wrong . . . unless you are used to driving a manual transmission. As for "N", it won't hurt a thing for at least an hour or so.

Bob Wilson

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Park is fine to save your leg from strain, it does not save any gas over being in D.

N will never recharge the HV Battery, so extended N is not good. (Toyota is legally required to have an N, but it is not good for much of anything)

Standard No. 102; Transmission shift position sequence starter interlock, and transmission braking effect. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When you're stopped and your foot's on the brake the power to the motor stops as well, so you're not saving gas by shifting out of D.

The "creep" is artificial and doesn't start again until you let up off of the brake.

hybridbear likes this.
  5. Harold Selassi

Harold Selassi New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    css28 I was not talking about saving gas since I know the engine stops on brake, I just wanted to make sure I was not wasting electricity, etc. The main point of shifting to Park is to relax my foot for 1 to 2 mins rather than saving gas.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't they have some kinda goofy "Hill Assist" with the G3?
    I don't have hills or long lights, but I recall reading about it.
    I'd look into that.

You will want to avoid using N because, as stated above, the HV battery won't be charging and your car will issue a strident BEEEEEEP! and tell you to shift to D if your battery becomes a little too depleted while in N.
    All of this can be a bit much to deal with if you throw in a light that just changed to green and about 3 dozen angry motorists if you're not expecting it.

If you must rest your foot, I'd either practice the hill assist (if memory serves me about its existence in your car) or use P. Just remember what Bob said about using the brake to get back out of P.

Good Luck!

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The hill assist is more of a 2 second affair. You press the brake hard enough to light the signal lamp and then go to push the accelerator. I remember it only holds for a second or two.

Bob Wilson

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang.
    Not much of an "assist" ---is it?
    Maybe that's why I remember it as being "Goofy." ;)

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually really like Hill Assist. I have one very steep hill nearby with a stop light at he summit. So often get stopped on a very steep incline.

The way Hill Assist engages you really have to depress on the brake significantly, and at least on my 2013 Gen 3, it signals it has been engaged by blinking the traction control icon. So I think the risk of "accidently" engaging hill assist, near impossible. Even then, it's designed to hold, for that split second between normal brake release and engine/transmission engagement. So even if you did accidently engage it, assuming you wanted to brake, I don't think there would be any negative...you just might feel a split second extra time as hill assist unengaged.

As far as shifting to park at long lights? To me, out in the automotive driving world, you never really know when you might have to suddenly and unexpectedly need to move. Emergency vehicles coming...or an accident can happen right in front of you, I see little advantage to shifting into park, and it could slow you if you need to move suddenly.

I'd just use the brake.

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also used to shift to neutral at the light and pull up the parking brake if there was an incline. I tried it with my Prius and that blasted noisemaker comes on when I shift to neutral. I tried Park but there is no physical affirmation of the shift which slows me down a moment. I often shift before the car is ready and nothing happens. I'd rather have something like a Prius C shifter or somehow lock me out of D if the car isn't ready. I have to look at the screen to confirm D. We all know half a second of hesitation illicit honks from behind.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the Plug In have hill assist?

Like I said, I like it. It's designed for stopping on steep hills. It basically only holds for a second or two ( I think actually less) because it's designed to simply prevent that steep hill roll back on start up.

I've used it several times, it's quicker than any waltz between parking brake and accelerator...and simpler....

I think it's benefit is very specific. Stopped on a steep incline...but the benefit exists.

12. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does the Plug In have hill assist?

Yes!

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Think of the brake pedal as a foot rest, but only when stationary. You will feel so much more relaxed.

jonb505 likes this.
  14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Think of is as "anti roll back into the car behind you as you move your foot to the accelerator" assist.

The Electric Me likes this.
  15. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Of course you can always just keep your foot lightly on the gas pedal and electric will keep you still on the hill.
    Of course your foot does not get any rest.

16. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do u stop the microwave 3 seconds before it's done?:):p

SCH-I535 ? 2

17. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ...and that will pull the state of charge down a bit.

18. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah! a little bit. :)

19. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If it does, I haven't noticed it. My Sonata has it and it makes parking in my garage a breeze. I have an inclined driveway. I was pretty disappointed that my 3 year newer more technologically advanced PiP didn't have hill assist. If I'm doing it wrong then I have to ask. I just let go of the brakes and the Sonata stays still. Why is it more complicated in the PiP?

20. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    At the expense of EV power. I would consider that a good possibility to overheat MG2 without
    movement. Remember, MG2 is am electric motor with a rotor. Holding it in place while raising the amperage
    would be a perfect way to contribute to a hot spot from burn through :eek: I wouldn't do it to my car (n)