1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shifts to Neutral

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pollibird, Aug 19, 2006.

1. pollibird

pollibird New Member

It has happened 6 or 7 times since getting the car new. First time happened driveing off the dealer lot!

My 06 #3 shifts to N from the P when selecting mostly R or D, with the brake pedal depressed.

Here's the sequence 1Get in, with the smart key in pocket 2 Depress brake pedal and press the power

button twice. 3 Shift to R and release the parking brake .

But instead of getting R I get N and the Red triangle warning light comes on, and after releasing the parking

brake the dash brake light is still on, a couple of times the MFD gave the batt. wont charge in neutral

warning.

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do you press the power button 2 times? You should only press it 1 time when you want to just drive it.

3. marjam

marjam Member

I see a flaw in your plan! You only should push the Power button once to start the car (foot on brake). Make sure that the READY light is on before you try to shift into Drive or Reverse. I think that you are turning the car On then Off!

4. pollibird

pollibird New Member

Thanks guys, for some reason i thought the book showed twice. And most of the time it worked. DUHH

5. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pollibird @ Aug 19 2006, 10:35 PM) [snapback]306063[/snapback]</div>
    Here is the sequence.

When your foot is on the brake pedal pushing Power once starts the car (Ready light on). When you are in driving (ready mode) pushing the Power button once (with foot on or off the brake) turns off the car and automatically puts it in Park if you have not done so already.

With your foot off the brake pedal pushing Power once brings on ACC mode and you can lister to the radio. Pushing again brings on Ig-On mode and you can play with the windows. Push a third time and you are back to OFF.

From ACC or Ig-On mode you can start the car by pushing the brake pedal and pushing the Power button once.

Hope this helps! :D

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pollibird @ Aug 19 2006, 10:35 PM) [snapback]306063[/snapback]</div>
    Our salesman actually told us to press the power button twice. Thanks to PriusChat and the manual we knew better. It's amazing how little some of the salesmen know about the Prius.

Tom

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Unfortunately, salesreps can say the wrong thing. On another thread the buyer was told that the "B" position was for "Battery," i.e. if you wanted to run the car on the battery alone (aka EV mode), you moved it there. :blink: