1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shipping 2007 x-cntry - Advice on Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ctmurray, Jul 31, 2010.

1. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am shipping my 2007 from MN to AZ and this will take about 1 week of travel. I am concerned about the 12V battery. I read on this forum about some 12V batteries not lasting for week(s) of storage. Also the keyless FOB will be with the truck driver, and possibly not too far away. I have read one cause for 12V battery demise is storing the FOB too close to the car, and thus the repeated inquiry/response of the keyless entry draining the 12V battery.

I have checked the battery voltages per articles on PriusChat. It is okay but not strong. The local dealer was contacted and seemed reluctant to replace this battery. He thought unless we were having issues now, why bother. Apparently batteries of this age are not yet failing in MN. This car has low mileage (maybe 30K). The replacement quote was $150 + $36 to install.

Has anyone shipped a Prius across country - and do you have any advice to share?

What about the battery? I am torn between cheapness and the hassle if the car arrives with a dead battery. If I had not been shipping the car I would not be considering the 12V battery an issue.

I read the sign of a dead battery are; no entry with keyless system, a display of warning icons that fade when you power up the car. Any other symptoms (I probably would not notice lower MPG, I don't monitor that very closely).

But I wonder, will the car start with a dead 12V battery - assuming you can get in and insert FOB into the slot?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have shipped three Prius from Honolulu to Long Beach. In each case the cars were three years old at the time of shipment. It takes one week for the ocean voyage, plus a few days on either end so it probably takes two weeks total from drop off to delivery.

No trouble with the 12V battery. I assume that the Smart fob was stored in the car for the entire time that the car was in transit.

However, if your car has trouble starting, I am sure that it can be jumped upon delivery. Then you can buy a new 12V battery if needed in Arizona. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Turn off the SMKS. This will significantly reduce the battery draw. Toyota recommends starting at least once every 3 weeks to prevent dishcarge. With a 2010, you have a new battery, you should have no problem either way. (Not sure about SMKS in 2010)

4. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am shipping the 2007 (I have to Pri). What is the SMKS? How do you turn off?

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a little button under the steering wheel area that turns off the smart key system. Doing so will reduce battery drain.