1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shipping OEM HV Battery to Hawaii

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jedha, May 23, 2020.

1. Jedha

Jedha New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2007 Prius with about 105K, I bought it about 9 months ago with Battery failure, replaced cells that were bad and 9 months later have the dreaded dashboard lights. Code was P0A80 and P3000. I don't want to go the remanufactured way and prefer to get an OEM new battery which i found in California from parts Toyota for only about $1700 but they don't ship to Hawaii. Servco here wants almost $5000 or same battery and installation! Anyone have experience shipping an OEM HV Battery to Hawaii? If so, how and who did you use? Anyone have experience buying OEM Battery from Toyota in general? I can't get a clear answer regards the HV Battery being Hazmat. Anyone have a definitive answer to this? It seems totally bizarre to me that you can buy drop in remanufactured batteries in Hawaii but not OEM! Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try 'newpriusbatteries.com'

3. runxctry

runxctry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just making sure - have you actually called their parts line? (I can't seem to locate Servco's parts number so I can understand the difficulty). My SoCal dealer isn't listed under parts.toyota.com but I was able to pick up the HV battery anyway.

Don't speak to the service team. Ask to speak to the parts manager or parts staff member.

4. Jedha

Jedha New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! I was advised against going in that direction that OEM was better and neither have I received feedback from anyone I know using these batteries to say how many years they got out of them. Newpriusbatteries pricing (for cells only) is $1900 with shipping which is not so far off an OEM from parts Toyota on the mainland and I would have to pay to have the cells installed here for about $950 which from what I read can be a little challenging compared to original cells or a drop in version of the whole case which is how Totota parts sells them as far as i understand. I already changed a couple cells 9 months ago so I would prefer if I keep the car to get and OEM part and hope for 10 more years or so.

bisco likes this.
  5. Jedha

Jedha New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't speak to the service team. Ask to speak to the parts manager or parts staff member.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks! Yes I called the parts dept here at Servco and they gave me a good quote of $1950 for the part but when I said "great" when can I pick it up they said they don't sell it like that and that they would have to install it. So he transferred me to the service dept who said $500 to install which is completely different than the $4500 I was quoted when I first called the week before to find out how much replacing it would cost and which is what sent me on a hunt because $4500 (excl taxes) was not going to work for me. When i mentioned the difference they just said to bring it in. I am taking it there in a couple days to have the read the diagnostics just so I know where I stand but I am guessing they are going to give me a high quote if it is the battery which I am sure it is.
    Toyota parts in California when speakiing to them has not given me any indication I can't purchase it from them directly, you actually purchase online and then pick up, but yeah they don't ship to Hawaii.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a great deal in hawaii if they give it to you. if not, i would then consider the new prius battery. they are getting great reviews.

7. Jedha

Jedha New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks bisco! yeah if I can get that price I'm happy but I'm not sure that is the norm. I'll see on Wednesday. And thanks I'll check some more reviews for the newpriusbattery option.
    PS anyone able to make a suggestion about driving the vehicle as it is. It still runs but the baterry fan is on high, only the ICE seems to be running (doesn't turn off at stop lights etc) and I need to keep AC on to keep battery at around 85 deg as my Dr. Prius app showed it had a temperature issue when the lights first came on and even lost some power (couldn't accelerate much just as I had driven it over a mountain to get to where my OBO reader was. Once it cooled the power came back. I have driven it just 2 -3 times for 15 min distances, but wondering if I can drive it more or if I will damage something else driving it like this. I am a prius newbie and a novice in terms of understanding mechanics. Thanks!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you cleaned the fan?

any dash lights/trouble codes?

9. Jedha

Jedha New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Haven't cleaned the fan yet. Dash lights are red triangle, brake, check engine and the cr with exclamation sign which from the book says is related to battery. My plug in OBO reader gave me a P0A80 code and Dr. Prius gave a P3000 code. I read on prius chat that P3000 has sub codes but I can't read them. I am taking it to Toyota tomorrow to do a diagnostics to get more detail for codes. The brake light on dash disappeared the day after it came up and then came back when I drove the car the next day. Not sure what the brake one means or if significant. I'm hoping Toyota can tell me. My own research on prius chat leads me to believe it is essentially the battery. When I do drive it barely has 2 purple bars on the battery icon and will go to 1/2 after 10 min or so but drops right back down when I stop and then go again.

bisco likes this.