1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shock replacement on 03 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prerun4fun13, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Prerun4fun13

Prerun4fun13 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ok i just bought a 03 Prius and it rides pretty soft like the shocks are worn out on it. So i am a mechanic but i have never really done anything on these cars other than a oil change. So anyone know what is involved and what does a typical shop charge? Oh ya and it has 90k miles and is all stock..

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The dealership wanted $600 (labor only) or so to swap my struts and springs on all 4 corners. I went to a local performance shop, and they offered the same labor for $120. The Prius does have fairly soft suspension, so your ride experience may be normal. A quick visual inspection to see if the struts are leaking would be a good start.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It really is not hard to do this job if you have experience replacing the struts on other Macpherson strut-equipped vehicles. The first photo shows the cowl parts that you have to remove to gain access to the top of the front struts. The second photo shows a removed rear shock, just for fun (I didn't take a photo of a front strut.)

Attached Files:

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    it has been reported that the 7 year 100,000 mile extended warranty covers shocks and struts, the prius house of rumors and urban legends says they are not specifically excluded from coverage.

if you bought into that, it might be worth checking out

5. Prerun4fun13

Prerun4fun13 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    thanks for the info guys im gonna do it....