1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shoes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kfarad, Jun 1, 2006.

1. kfarad

kfarad Junior Member

There's a rumor going around the internet that driving without shoes can significantly increase your MPG...

I havn't seen any threads devoted to this issue around here...

Is there something to this? :huh:

2. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it allows you to "feel" the pedals better. With no 3/4" pseudo-rubber barrier between you and the pedal, you could become more sensitive to your car.

You would then be able to make more subtle adjustments.

Just a guess.

3. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beeri @ Jun 1 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]263877[/snapback]</div>

While not permitted in a few states... It might be possible. In the past, I've driven sports cars (clutch) better with out shoes. When you are not wearing shoes, you can feel slight changes in the return spring on the throttle. However, since the Prius is by wire... it might not be the same.

Give it a try and let us know how it turns out?

4. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm a bartender at a restaurant and don't wear my shoes after getting off at night because of all the grease and grime on the shoes. I've only had the car about a week and have noticed that you definitely have more ability to get in the "sweet spot" where you get better mpg.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally, driving barefoot is perfectly permissible. See
    www.barefooters.org for live quotes from state officials on the
    subject. You may also be surprised to learn that most states
    have *no* supposed "health regulations" concerning food establishments.
    _H*

6. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beeri @ Jun 1 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]263877[/snapback]</div>
    Well, in that direction, take off all your clothes.

Less weight, and you would then increase your MPG.

IF, however, this is a serious discussion on weather you can take your shoes off, and feel the pedal better, thus increasing your mileage, I can't see how that is possible with this car. As stated, it has a wire.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no idea. I'm okay with shoes and feathering. Although I do have problems with the heavier basketball type shoes. Runners are ok.

8. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Manksgloob @ Jun 1 2006, 02:18 AM) [snapback]263881[/snapback]</div>

actually my mom used to yell at me for driving shoeless. There are NO laws against it anywhere, but they will reccomend that you wear shoes while driving. Couple of barefoot communities have those rules posted where they wrote/called state police.

I perfer shoeless driving, especially with long road trips.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know it's summer when I have to wash my feet before I go to bed. I've driven in bare feet for years, weather permitting. I keep a pair of sandals handy so I don't burn anything when I get out. On most cars, I get better 'road feel', though I'm not sure that applies to the Prius. It's much cooler and more comfortable, which is enough by itself. I don't wear pajamas, either, but you don't need to know that. :blink:

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jun 1 2006, 02:13 AM) [snapback]263905[/snapback]</div>
    In the 90's it was illegle to drive without shoes, not like they would pull you over and check.. However if they pulled you over for another infraction and saw you wernt wearing any it was another ticket..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jun 1 2006, 02:13 AM) [snapback]263905[/snapback]</div>
    In the 90's it was illegle to drive without shoes, not like they would pull you over and check.. However if they pulled you over for another infraction and saw you wernt wearing any it was another ticket..