1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shooting fish in a barrel..

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Salsawonder, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had to go for the "20,000" today, new tires too! I drive from La Mesa to Carlsbad because there is an outlet mall right next to my dealer (Toyota Carlsbad). This area is Car Country. I have to walk past several dealerships on the way to the mall.

Dodge: 6 guys just sitting under the umbrella, no one on the lot. A salewoman and another guy at the end of the lot...don't think they know why I am looking at them, they wave.
    Ford: right across the street, 5 guys just sitting around watching the Toyota lot
    Toyota: as soon as a sales rep gets done with one sale...another one is standing in front of him/her. people are all over the lot. "I have an F150", "I'm trading the Lexus for a Prius", "How much can I get for the Expedition?"

There was a smattering of business at the Honda and VW place....nothing much at the GMC/Chevrolet dealers. It really was literally "shooting fish in the barrel!!" for these sales people.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not surprising. In California, domestics don't do well and Toyota's brands are the leader in retail car sales in CA.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/60821001/1041

In other parts of the country, things are different. A former roommate of mine (when I lived in WA where American vehicles don't do so well either) had a crappy Pontiac Sunfire (was giving him some trouble too). His parents seem to only buy American. I asked him why they'd bother given the bad experiences we've had w/GM vehicles. He said where he was from (~ Kansas City, MO), the import car dealers were really far away and they'd have to drive 50+ mins if they needed warranty work. Domestic car dealers were much closer.

Nationally, GM is still king. You can see a summary of 06 auto sales in the US on the right side of http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../701040353/1148.