1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shoppers Beware: Grocery Products Shrinking

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by zenMachine, Mar 30, 2011.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Walmart beef jerky Walmart used to sell its "Great Value" beef jerky in 12-ounce packages. But last year a Consumerist reader realized that the package had shrunk to 10 ounces. The kicker? The new, smaller package was now labeled "Mega Pack."

Frito-Lay chips Bags of Doritos, Tostitos, and Fritos now have 20 percent fewer chips than they did in 2009. A spokesman tells the Times that the extra chips were a "limited time" offer.

Chicken of the Sea tuna The Times reports that albacore tuna cans now contain five ounces instead of six ounces, and the five-ounce cans sometimes cost more than the larger ones.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/business/2011/03/grocery-products-shrinking-your-very-eyes/36185/

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will people get smaller?

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I read an article where a university study determined that during recession times that people are more sensitive to price increases than they are to quantity decreases. So most companies choose to lower the quantity as a means to increase price.

I am just glad that my wife is a very conscious shopper and is very aware when companies reduce quantities. If possible she will decide to start using Brand X instead.

4. Airboss

Airboss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Downsizing packages (deceptively) is a pet peeve of mine. Try to find a "pound" of coffee, or a "half-gallon" of ice cream. I saw that bacon was mostly packed in 12 oz. packages while shopping yesterday. Slick, aren't they?? I almost want to put signs or stickers on the offending products. A deli around here boasts a "20 oz. pound", but I haven't try it yet. The price seems to be 20 oz. as well.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I first noticed this in yogurt. It's impossible to find yogurt in a reasonable size (ie, 8 ounces) anymore. It's all that six-ounce B.S.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This wasn't a new phenomena when I first noticed it on candy bars forty years ago, when I was a kid. Mom had clued into it much earlier.

What is really aggravating is when the "New! Larger Size!" is still much smaller than the old size the spouse and I remember.

8. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In related news- faced with declining incomes coupled with better access to educational information on the internet, more people are owning chickens, home gardening is on the uptick and lard-asses are falling out of vogue.

9. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not only are package volumes shrinking, but the new improved shrinking products now cost more money. Some say that increased prices are due to rising transportation costs, but I can't believe that since food costs never declined during lower fuel prices. Some say that rising food costs are due to a bad season of weather, but food prices never go down in good growing weather either. Could it be it's another justification for corporate profit taking on both ends: smaller packages AND higher prices? Maybe.

10. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    But corn ethanol will save us!

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The standard approach was to slowly shrink the size in a series of small steps. Eventually a new "Jumbo" size would be introduced along with a price increase. Once this became the normal size the shrink would start again.

Tom

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why do fast food restaurants take the reverse trend? What used to be a large soda has been downgraded to medium for years; a couple of years ago it was downgraded again to small at certain chains. What is now "medium" used to be extra large, and what is now "large" actually holds more than a human stomach can hold. I assume a small child can go swimming in what is now called "extra large".

1 person likes this.
  13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If I ate much pre-packaged, processed food I might care. As it is, a pound of vegetables is *still* a pound of vegetables, and 20 pound bags of lentils and rice remain inexpensive.

Now if you want to rant about Tofu in plastic containers I'll happily join in :)