1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shopping Around

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by ncc74656m, Feb 18, 2007.

1. ncc74656m

ncc74656m New Member

So I'm doing some car shopping.

Current Car: '06 Corolla LE
    Previous Car: '92 Tercel

Backstory:

I've always wanted a high performance vehicle. Even my Tercel was modded and on the way to 220 WHP or more (though still at stock 89 HP when the tranny died and I had to buy the Corolla). In keeping with this concept, I did buy a 5 Spd, but it wasn't enough for me. There were some issues, like smaller aftermarket, weak transmission, Toyota being SOBs about some known issues with the Corollas (I didn't have these issues, but that's not to say that I won't, she's only got 5k). All that does give me some pause about keeping the Corolla, plus I only bought it because it's what I could afford at the time, and I thought it was a decent car.

Current Story:

I'm now making 15k more than I made at my last job. This, needless to say, makes me very happy. I'm also happier than I was at the last job, and feel like I will be in this job for a long time. This means security in larger purchases like these higher end cars. At the same time, I don't want to be ridiculous and so I've distanced myself from cars like the WRX that I originally considered. At least some of this will be guided by insurance costs as well, so I'm also averse to the higher end cars, again, like the WRX.

Today I did my first test drive in a series of many (most likely tomorrow conclude the rest). I drove the Camry Hybrid. I also looked at the convertible Solara and the Prius (they didn't have the Touring suspension in stock so that's why I didn't test it. Here's my initial reactions to all three cars, to be updated as I drive them tomorrow.

Camry Hybrid:
    This car really defied some of my expectations. It wasn't super quick or peppy, but it wasn't bad. Faster than my old Tercel, slower than my Corolla, but I expect that was because the 'rolla is a stick and so feels firmer and more definitive. It really was a NICE interior, with a lot of features that I'd absolutely die for, and which I will expect to have in this car.

I did some extensive testing with it, they actually let me go further than they normally would on a test drive because I bought with this particular dealership and salesman before, so that's a plus. The suspension I will say is very soft on this car, which I don't really love, but it gives it an incredibly smooth ride, which is still a plus (but I imagine won't satisfy my driving style, and so may be upgraded down the line). Again though, for some of these features, I imagine aftermarket is lacking based on the fact that it's a newer car and not exactly modder's paradise.

One thing that irks me about the Corolla though is that I at least will have a small body kit (I can get the SE's kit installed at the dealer for the Camry which looks good IMHO).

Solara V6 Sport Convertible:
    I admit, I haven't driven it yet, but I love it. The looks, the feel, everything. I'm very excited to try to get my hands on one of these tomorrow and will be sorely disappointed if I don't get to tomorrow (but I'm probably not buying for a while yet anyway). I love the concept of a convertible, and for where I'll be parking, it should be secure enough, which is a bonus.

I just can't wait to test it, and I'll be honest, I can just picture myself cruising in that baby in the summer... Ahh... Feelin' groovy already.

Prius Touring Edition:
    Well, I haven't test driven this yet either, but I have already hit a HUGE hitch. The seat does NOT go back very far. I'm 6'4", and I'll say, the Tercel fit me better than the Prius does, or at least that's my memory. Either way, it is NOT a comfortable car, and I just felt cramped. I will still drive it tomorrow, but I think I have nearly ruled it out. Sad, I know, but it's just the truth. I refuse to be cramped for eco-consciousness.

Another severe downside is that ridiculous bar that they have that completely kills all rear view out of the back mirror. Gah, that rates right up there with the Pinto for bad design. Stupid Toyota, I swear.

Anyway, that's all I have for today, but I'll report back with more tomorrow hopefully.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that really doesn't block much except the headlights of the car behind so that's a bonus lol.

I would just look to "TOM" or "TRD" for suspension bits if you want to stiffen up the Prius or Camry.