1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shopping cart ATTACK!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by surfacinglove, May 7, 2007.

1. surfacinglove

surfacinglove New Member

So after one month of ownership, I've had the front bumper replaced from a parking lot run-in, and yesterday... a Target shopping cart slid across the back bumper.

I unwittingly parked next to the "cart corale" and upon approaching my car noticed someone hit it on the back left corner and it slid along the crease to about the center of the car. After cleaning it up at home, about 5 actual scratches in the body, and numerous paint smears/ruboffs. Luckily I had the left-over touch-up paint from the front bumper replacement. I went outside and gave the back bumper a manicure. It's not really noticeable now, except from 6 inches away, you can notice some very small brush strokes.

I need to get used to my new car not being perfect...

*side rant - honestly people, who seriously throws their shopping cart from 15 feet away thinking they are gonna make it into the corale??! do you really think the cart will stay perfectly straight for 15 feet of unguided effort?!?! I mean, it's common sense, you let go of it in the store for a second and it does a 90 degree turn into a bathing suit rack! I can remember I thew my cart into the corale once, and then I turned 8. at least have the decency to not cart-and-run! *

2. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ha-ha this is one of my biggest pet peeves as well. I find it really annoying when there's a cart corral with-in 5-10ft of a pack of carts in a space I want!

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I've often seen people attempt to send a cart across the aisle like a guided missile toward the cart corral. That's why I never park next to one.

I guess you found out why they call it "Target"! :eek:

4. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(surfacinglove @ May 7 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]437043[/snapback]</div>

It is really another sad comment on a general society that is self-centered and has no consideration of anyone else's rights, property or comfort. I have sat in my car and seen parking lot behaviour, car dinging and cart carelessness, etc. Home Depot is the absolute worse.

Some people are jealous and do this stuff on purpose. It is sad. Those are usually the same creeps that are noisy, bad, pain in the butt neighbors, that only care about their own comfort and "rights"

5. surfacinglove

surfacinglove New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 7 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]437050[/snapback]</div>

haha... ouch, good one ;)

6. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 7 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]437052[/snapback]</div>
    I couldn't agree more...In fact I was almost in a head on collision today because someone made a blind left turn off a side street today and came right into my lane 'assuming' no one would be there...good thing his brakes worked. God forbid he should slow down and turn into his lane :angry:

On the cart note....Honestly why would you park near a cart corral? Isn't that asking for trouble? :) I park away from everyone...people are just too uncaring about how they open doors and etc....I'd rather walk a few extra feet then risk damage to the car...

7. surfacinglove

surfacinglove New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ May 7 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]437100[/snapback]</div>

I usually don't park by the corral but it was packed, and I forgot! I think that's a good idea from now on... park far far awayor at least shoot for where there'd be no adjacent cars... lol

8. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I know this may sound a little weird for most but, I always park in the "safest" stall which happens to be the furthest most people are willing to park in.

A long time ago I use to park legally within the markings and I still got many dings, scuffs, and even big hits.

Then at one time, roughly 15 years ago at a Sears parking lot, I arrived to my car to find a huge dent on the driver's side. I noticed that it matched the door of the car adjacent to it, so I took down the license plate and waited for the driver to return to his car. Anyhow, some time later the driver arrived with his passenger entourage and I kindly showed the damage to him and his company. Needless to say, they resented the fact that I wanted them to take responsability for the hit and they proceeded to entering the car and leave.
    As soon as I saw that I waved to the mall security vehicle (that I had alerted earlier as a precaution) and they were stopped by the patrol car.
    I took them to small claims court and won. In retrospect, I was ready to let them go had they taken responsability for their neglectful behavior.

Anyway, from that point on I always park at the furthest stall I can find. If a parking lot at a store or mall is close to full I simply go to another nearby... or just leave it for another hour or day. The result? Its been 15 years without a single dent on my cars and I am hoping managed probability continues to play in my favor.

Cheers;

MSantos

9. surfacinglove

surfacinglove New Member

dude... that's awesome

way to stick it to those punks!

10. knownasmichael

knownasmichael New Member

YOU GUYS, TRY LIVING IN A COMPLEX BUILDING WHERE YOUR ASSIGNED PARKING SPACE IS NEXT TO THE PLACE WHERE PEOPLE LEAVE THEIR DAMN SHOPPING CARTS!!! IM WORRIED 24/7 ABOUT SOMEONE HITTING MY NEW PRIUS WITH ONE.

I USED CAPS TO EMPHASIZE MY MENTAL STATE CONCERNING THIS SITUATION. LOL.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I fear that should Micheal's car actually get dinged we will be seeing bold as well as caps. :D

I get somewhat offensive with people who are not responsible enough to return the carts to the proper location. When I'm walking in and I see someone deliberately leave one stranded, I'll shout out, "don't worry! I'll get it!" But not in a nice way.

To me, it's the little things that provide insight into a person's true nature. Something as simple as putting the cart in the coral tells volumes about a person in the same way that sticking the front two wheels on a curb and walking away does.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No one threw it. They probably walked it right to the corral and scraped it along your car themselves......because they were too busy TALKING ON THEIR CELLPHONE!

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 7 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]437223[/snapback]</div>
    I thought everyone just leaves them in the lot so the wind can blow them into the corral. It's bad enough when strangers ding your car. It's worse when it is a fellow employee in the office lot. :angry:

14. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I have a new car, I try to park between a concrete curb on one side of the car and the passenger side of a car on the other side. There is not always a passenger in a car so that increases my chances of not getting a ding. I park close to the curb and make sure there is a wide doors width on the other side. If I can't get this, I park way far away from the morons who would do damage to my car.

~buttster

15. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Or how about when they send the cart flying at high speed into your car while your ship is underway?

Yeah, some jerks put a nice, big dent in the right rear quarter panel of the 1986 Cutlass I used to own - and this happened while I was underway. I feel your pain, I really do.

What's also fun is when you have carts blown into your path of travel by the wind!