1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shopping for a 3rd gen Prius, what to look out for, beware etc

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by memento84, Jun 8, 2016.

1. memento84

memento84 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 just got totaled in an accident (I have put 70k in 3years, was bough used, with high miles). I will need to buy a replacement asap. 2007 seemed like an ultra reliable ride, oil every 5k and no questions asked (battery pack was tested to ~60% at almost 240k!).
    I have found a 2010 model that I like, with 120k on it. Nice colour, package 4 (leather, no camera :<). Is it reasonable to assume same level of reliability on this compared to my 2007 ?
    What are the common culprits ? What to avoid and what to look for. It is a single owner with carfax without any major boo-boo's reported. someone mentioned early 3rd gen use up some oil >100k ? I think I also kind of had that with my 2007, but not a biggie.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Some 2010's need a software update on the brakes, it was jerkier than normal switching from regeneration to friction brakes.

3. memento84

memento84 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    would this be already done ? The Toyota that I am after was serviced only by a Toyota dealership for last 6 years. any other possible culprits ?

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    One would think that a reputable Toyota dealer would have already done this. While my dealer seems very competent, a number of other posters seem to have dealers operated by Neanderthals. In some cases, very unethical Neanderthals. Lets hope Cleveland is not like this. With the VIN, you can see all the service history at Log into Your Toyota Owners Account | Toyota Owners

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    There's the rattling problem from under the right dash with some early 2010. There was a 1 year limited time fix for it. Also a lot of rattles coming from the rear hatch....I have both and just put up with it :mad:

Also check the owners records to make sure the inverter recall has been done. Or check Toyota's website if your VIN number is affected and the recall was done.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a couple of recalls: one a software update to protect the inverter during hard acceleration, the other something replaced in vicinity of the brake master cylinder. More-n-likely been done, but you could check into that.

120,000 miles is getting up there, could be Exhaust Gas Recirculation circuit clogging. That's almost a given.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sadly, if you look up our VIN, you'll see the oil's never been changed. In Canada owners can't enter data, you can in the 'States I think.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Owners can enter data, but only the owner who entered the data will be able to see it. Owner's after that will NOT see what previous DIY work was done by previous owner.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My best 2 cents is do a good test drive if you buy anything less than a Prius 4. The manual-adjust driver's seat has a reputation for being uncomfortable for a lot of people over longer drives. A short test drive might not reveal if you'd be unhappy with it.

10. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That agrees with what the local dealer's service writer told me, I think. In other words, assuming you're keeping good records in some other format, there's very little reason to bother entering DIY maintenance data through their web site, if neither dealers nor subsequent owners can see it.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure it's not too boring or uncomfortable for you. I'm putting mine up for private sale this week because of both reasons.