1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shopping for a Prius Gen II

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by reglys, May 6, 2012.

1. reglys

reglys Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone

The more I read about the Prius and the more I want to get one. I am focusing on getting a used Prius (Generation II). I do not need performance and I drive my car to get the best gas mileage. I do not see any problem with 110 HP for the Prius.

1) Is there any better year in this generation II?
    2) Anything special to check when doing the test drive? ( which is always short)
    3) Tires on 15" rim or 16" rim? Pros and cons. In my point of view 185/65R15 should get better gas mileage than 195/55R16 but with worst handling?
    4) Should I pick an old Prius with very low mileage.
    Example : Prius 2006 with 23000 milles for 16000$ cdn
    or More recent Prius with higher mileage
    Prius 2009 with 60000 milles for 16500$ cdn
    Prius 2008 with 85000 milles with backup cam for 14000$ cdn
    Prius 2008 with 45000 milles with backup cam for 18000$ cdn
    5) Any problem with a HV battery not very used during 6 years ( example Prius 2006 with low mileage)
    6) Any test to do to check if the HV battery is still good during the test drive?

Thank you very much

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just make completely sure that you can find a comfortable driving position. In over 5 years of ownership...two '07s in the household...that's my one persistent gripe. Taller drivers are the most likely to have trouble, but my much smaller wife has her own complaints as well. I performed surgery on mine, she makes the best of it. Take your time!

My opinion on used Prius is that mileage is less of an issue than calendar time. The HV battery in particular seems to degrade with time more than [normal] usage. And as with any car, high mileage tends to mean lots of easy highway miles. So I would look for a newer car and not be too concerned even if it has 60,000mi on the odometer as long as it's in good shape.

There isn't much you can do to check the HV battery condition without either a toyota scan tool or a multimeter and an afternoon alone with the car. As long as the MFD doesn't show state of charge to be fluctuating wildly between completely empty and completely full it's probably fine. I think the usual used car stuff (accident history, evidence of timely maintenance, absence of obvious flaws) is more worth your energy to investigate.

3. reglys

reglys Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you Brick for your reply.

I might now consider buying a Prius 2008 because of you. I saw one full equip with Backup cam and (GPS I think).

Any big difference with 16" wheels compare to 15" wheels?

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. reglys

reglys Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you Cwerdna for the hint.
    Nice to see the different Prius trim for the different year per country.

6. reglys

reglys Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Finally I will get a Prius 2008. Very smooth car. Looking forward to get it at the end of the week. When I was testing drive the car on the highway, I was able to get in Warp Stealth mode:D. Amazing car, too much thing to check on this car. I found the acceleration perfect for my use.

I am a newbie and once in a while I will ask you questions. So thank you in advance for answering me.

Ciao