1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Short Commute - Horrible Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by reicholz, Apr 4, 2005.

1. reicholz

reicholz New Member

OK - so I'm lucky. My commute in Hollywood, CA is 1.2 miles each way, downhill and then back up a hill. And most of my other local trips are under 5 minutes.

I heard that until the engine warms up, the Prius (like its gas-only cousins) gets greatly-reduced mileage. This is because (I assume) the gas engine runs just to warm itself up. Boy, was this ever true. Once my baby is warmed up, I can easily get 50 -60 MPG by mimimizing use of the gas engine through playing with the accelerator. But before then, I get only 30 - 35 mpg.

Of course, I do realize that even at just 30mpg, I can make 146 round trips to work...30 weeks worth for me. That said, as a newbie Prius freak, I'd love to do better!

Can anyone help me with the cold engine problem? Is there any way around it? I have thought of purchasing one of those devices that overrides the computer and shuts off the gas completely for short commutes. Is this wise? Any other ideas?

Thank you!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending upon how much downhill your 1.2 mile commute to work is and if it stays under 30mph or so you could, potentially, make it all the way in EV mode with one of the EV controls. Of course coming home you'd need to use the ICE to recharge.

Have you considered just taking a bike? 1.2 miles in Hollywood makes a bike seem ideal to me.