1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Short Distance Driving Less Efficient?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by activitie, Jul 24, 2006.

1. activitie

activitie New Member

I am currently considering buying a Prius, mainly for environmental reasons (and the sweet technology). Since my daily commute is only 5 miles (aka 10 min) each way, gas consumption isn't that big of an issue for me.

From reading the forums for the past couple weeks I learned that the engine will not be as efficient until after it is has warmed up. Since my commute is so quick will I not see very good gas efficiency? How long does it typically take the engine to "warm up"?

The mpg will still be better than my current car, but will my short commute actually hurt my mpg's a bit?

Thanks and I hope to be joining the Prius Party soon.

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Cazi.Live, welcome to PriusChat!

My commute is about 10 minutes each way, 4-5 miles of city driving, 30 mph with six stoplights. I average between 48 and 51 MPG depending on the outdoor temperature.

3. j24816

j24816 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cazi.Life @ Jul 23 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]291284[/snapback]</div>
    Go to the fuel economy forum, in the 'stickies' (threads in their own section at top of list) there is a thread on "New Owner? Want fuel economy help? Read this first". This will give you a great intro. Bottom line is yes, your fuel economy is hurt by short trips, but as you noted, it will be better in a Prius.

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(j24816 @ Jul 24 2006, 12:25 AM) [snapback]291322[/snapback]</div>
    ... or just click on this link to go to it.

5. activitie

activitie New Member

Thanks Brandon. I appreciate the direct link.

6. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any car can't get good mileage during short commute.

My wife is driving Prius for daily shoppings about 3 miles and got about 40 mpg in summer and 32 mpg in winter, however our previous Honda 2.2L Accord Wagon recorded 14 mpg in winter on the same situation.
    We're very happy to see such more than two times mileage number on Prius. :)

Ken@Japan

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, short distances are bad all around for all cars. It's just that with the Prius, you have instantanious feedback so you become cruelly aware of the hit on the mileage.

On the other hand, you will most likely take longer drives from time to time which will provide better MPG numbers.

Then there's the third line of reasoning: knowing that every car is ineficient on short trips, a Prius that "only" gets up to 50 MPG is still much better than other cars.

8. jtullos

jtullos New Member

I had a short commute as well (1.5 miles, 7-10 minutes, mostly residential). I ended up just biking to work most days, simply because it didn't take much longer, used no gas at all, and was a nice bit of relaxation and exercise. If your job would permit it (somewhere to put a bike at work and no offense from being dressed a little more casually), then I'd recommend doing that. Oh, and still get a Prius, it'll be great for longer drives.

9. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cazi.Life @ Jul 23 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]291284[/snapback]</div>

Yep. Although 5 miles each way isn't terrible. Right now I'm only getting 38 mpg driving a distance of less than a mile at a time. Temperature is about 100 F and I'm not about to leave the air conditioning off. Everytime I turn off the engine and restart it, even if only for 5 minutes, the mileage starts to drop until I've driven at least a mile.

That's still better than you would do with almost any other car (with the exception of the Insite and Civic Hybrid). I don't know how well they do with really short trips.

Dave

10. amitandrima

amitandrima New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cazi.Life @ Jul 23 2006, 11:40 PM) [snapback]291284[/snapback]</div>
    My drive is about 3 miles one way with plenty of traffic lights on the way. I end up averaging about 40 to 42 mpg (summer with A/C). This is less compared to Prius standards but definitely twice of what i am used to with my older mid size. A couple of times a month i need to go out on long drives (not very long about 100 miles one way) and i average 50+ mpg (summer with A/C again) so my overall averages are better. Great gas mileage and environment were one of the many reasons for me to get my Prius!

11. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's the one thing that always cracks me up about people wondering whether they should buy Prius: "I heard that it's less efficient on short trips..." If all cars had the kind of instant MPG feedback that Prius does I think people would be a lot more careful about racing from stoplight to stoplight.

I have a 12 mile round-trip commute. Even at that distance it can be faster for me to bike than to drive when traffic is heavy. You should definitely do what I do; bike to work when the weather is with you, but do yourself a favor and get the Prius anyway!

12. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jul 24 2006, 07:36 PM) [snapback]291688[/snapback]</div>

I'm a big proponent of biking to work...but there are some issues that "we" bikers often neglect to talk about. The trip may be faster...but getting to work, disrobing, taking a shower, and getting dressed certainly takes a significant period of time. Not taking a shower and changing can lead to some pretty significant work environment issues :)

As for the MPG to expect on a short trip/commute like that...expect between 38 and 40 depending on A/C use. Not great by Prius standards by my Saab 9-3 used to get 19 with the same use.

13. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live in Missouri with a rolling hill five mile commute. My average gas mileage is 46 MPG.

14. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken S @ Jul 24 2006, 08:11 PM) [snapback]291703[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, so it's not all roses and unicorns. And if there weren't a shower room at my work I'd have to slow down significantly while biking to reduce sweat. But I only cary one saddle bag and that's enough room for a change of clothes and shoes, lunch and a few small necessities (pesky keys... gotta get the smart key to work with my house now!). And it only takes 5-10 minutes to rinse and dress if you're on a mission for speed.

So, much like Prius drivers are willing to shell out a little extra $ up front and drive a little slower on the highway, I'm also willing to take the extra effort and time to make bike commuting work.

Sorry to hijack this thread a little. I still say get the Prius! One thing that crossed my mind when buying one is that even if the technology isn't a perfect solution to a major problem, it's one of the bigger steps you as a consumer can make. I see the money I spent on the car as an investment in technology research, and as a type of vote that can, in its way, be more substantial than any ballot.

15. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jul 24 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]291711[/snapback]</div>
    I agree on the Prius...even without the hybrid engine it's a pretty neat car. Roomy, lots of gadgets and storage space. With the Civic or Accord you can compare the price of the hybrid vs non easily, but there is no straight alternative to the Prius.

16. funpilot

funpilot Junior Member

I keep my Prius in the Bronx and commute about 10 miles to Yonkers up and down hills. I average 41-43 mpg. However, I get 55 when I go long distance.