1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Short Red Warning Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nathaniel Norman, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Nathaniel Norman

Nathaniel Norman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2007 prius. recently I've come across an issue with my prius. Sometimes, when I brake the large red exclamation point flashes on for a second, followed with a beep, then the screen displays problem. All of this goes away after a second or so. Not sure if there's a problem with my brakes? I checked my engine oil and that appears to be low as well. I changed it recently, I think in december about 5000 miles ago. Could the indicator be towards the engine oil? There is no engine oil light on my dash, just a low tire pressure indicator thats been there for a long time.

Any help is appreciated. I'm currently in college with little money to spare, so I'm hoping someone here can help me figure this out without the help of a mechanic :) Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When you say oil that appears to be low......did you actually have oil on the dipstick?

jerrymildred and SFO like this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. Could be due to low oil.
    Could also be due to low brake fluid......which can be normal as brake pads wear.

The low oil needs to be "fixed" regardless of whether it is causing the light or not.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only check the oil regularly if on engines you don't mind replacing.

I'd also be surprised if you had any oil on the dipstick.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the oil was/is low, have you filled it up again to the full mark on the dipstick? 5000 miles ago IS NOT "recently", for some on this forum that is nearly time to change the oil again.

Older Prii are known to consume oil.
    A Prius can use 1 qt of oil in 5000 miles, or a Prius can use 1 qt in 1000 miles. Please check and maintain your car- if the oil gets too low the engine WILL fail. It might not be the cause of your warning light, but it should be taken care of.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jerrymildred likes this.