1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Short trip kills MPG?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by DKTVAV, Jul 27, 2012.

1. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I just got a 1.8 miles trip with a max 99.9 MPG. If I remember correctly I got the same 99.9 MPG for a 0.5 mile trip before. So I guess some short distance gets max mileage.

IMAG0029.jpg

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With a pre-warmed engine short trips can be great, especially when you can drive mostly EV. The trick is trying to get that kind of mpg on a cold engine and end the trip with the same SOC you started with. ;)

3. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A short trip on purely electrical power will register as 99.9 mpg but since a Prius c HV battery is very small - your range is going to be somewhat limited unless your trip is going downhill. In addition, since the Prius c is not a plug-in hybrid the electricity used for that all-electric power trip will have to be regenerated by the gasoline engine later on - that extra load on the gasoline engine will reduce your overall (tank's) fuel efficiency. :whistle:

Erikon likes this.
  4. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's a bit misleading, since you're not including the warmup period that enables EV to be used, unless you drove the whole 1.8 miles under 10mph!

5. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Fortunately as far as I can tell, the warm-up period where EV won't come on also pumps some charge into the battery. When I get in after work and drive off, the battery often creeps up from ~25% to ~60% in the few minutes it takes me to get out to the main road.

HUAWEI MediaPad ? 2