1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shorted DOME with aftermarket head unit...

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dalfwan Kenobi, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Dalfwan Kenobi

Dalfwan Kenobi New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all,

First off, do not buy a KUNFINE head unit off Amazon. That was mistake number 1.

I bought this thinking it would be a nice drop in replacement for my stock head unit. It came with harnesses and everything to connect to the car cabling. Got it all hooked up and powered on the car to find the "check hybrid system" notification on, stereo off, and all the warning lights illuminated.

Disconnected all. Put the original head unit in, and same, except now stock head unit wouldn't power on. Diagnosed this back to the DOME 15A fuse which was blown, but changing this wouldn't let me drive still. Had to remove the lead from the 12v battery and reset the system.

Now, everything seems semi normal (at least I can drive it) but I can't shift out of park without pushing the button. Seems like it's locked or something. Also my mileage has tanked. (Possibly just low because it was reset?) And finally the stock head unit no longer shows the car info (mileage, how much power is recovered from the brakes, and the average speed) on that graph.

I'm worried something deeper is damaged due to whatever that dumb head unit shorted. Any ideas where to begin troubleshooting or checking? Anyone else had this issue?

(2013 Prius C 147k)

2. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    You should probably scan it when you get time. But that sounds like 1 of 2 things, brake are having issues, brake booster or brake assembly, but also sounds like the hybrid battery needs to be replaced, because of what you said about the car not showing how much energy is being regenerated, and your efficiency has gone down.

3. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Any updates?????????????????