1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should a Prius roll backward at a stoplight??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PearlDriver, Nov 11, 2007.

1. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here in hilly Seattle learning to use a stick was fun. :lol: Getting my first automatic transmission was a great relief.

Now I'm finding myself rolling backwards briefly when I transfer my foot off the break to the accellerator when on a steep hill.

Is this normal or should the Prius hold like an automatic transmission?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius has a hill-holder feature that attempts to keep it from rolling backwards when in D. It works pretty well, but does have its limits on very steep hills, where you will get some backward roll.

Tom

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it will on a steep hill. The electric motors are only programmed to draw so much power from the battery to mimic the "creep" of a regular automatic transmission.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When at a stop, using the brakes to hold position appears to turn off this current. I'm using a Graham scanner and can see the current disappear when the brake is held and the car stopped. If you maintain position on a gentle slope while stopped, the car will be drawing current but holding it with the brake stops the current.

When I'm stopped on a flat section, I'll often put the car in "N" to allow taking my foot off the brake. When the light changes, I slip into "D" and drive off.

I need to go back and check if using the parking brake has the same effect as holding with the brake pedal.

Bob Wilson

5. carlson.dl@sbcglobal.net

[email protected] New Member

Well, I just returned from a vacation in Seattle. The Impala that I rented there rolled backward big time when stopped on a hill. You are not alone.

Dave

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Nov 11 2007, 09:30 PM) [snapback]538239[/snapback]</div>
    Does it make a difference if you shift into D with or without the brake applied?

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Nov 12 2007, 01:30 AM) [snapback]538239[/snapback]</div>
    Please don't do that. I was once bumped into by a fellow who thought that the ground we were stopped on was flat enough, and did not notice as he slowly rolled into me. Nobody ever thinks they can make a mistake like this until they do.

8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 12 2007, 01:44 AM) [snapback]538146[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius doesn't just mimic creep, it has a specific hill-start function to hold position. But as others have said, there is a limit to how much torque it will apply to prevent backwards motion. ("Backwards" being forwards if the transmission is in R).

The creep and hill-start functions are deactivated by sufficient pressure on the brake pedal. How "sufficient" is defined, I'm not sure - I originally thought it was the brake-light relay, but it's not that simple.

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The amount of creep torque varies depending on how fast you're
    drifting in the *opposite* direction. To really get a feel for
    this, find an isolated area in a parking lot and let the car drift
    backward at about 2 mph and then put it in Drive. If you're not
    over the protection threshold when it just beeps and goes into
    Neutral, you'll feel a HUGE surge of torque until you stop and then
    the normal creep thereafter. The motor sensors are very fine-
    resolution and the hybrid computer knows exactly what's going on.
    So hill-holding is a variable thing, and equates more to "let us
    roll *very* slowly back down the hill" rather than a hard hold but
    still plenty of help while moving your foot.
    _H*