1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should Auto theft deterent icon blink when car is shut off ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Neal Tolchin, May 16, 2004.

1. Neal Tolchin

Neal Tolchin New Member

My father-in-law took delivery on his package 7 Prius and he is perplexed that an auto theft deterent icon blinks when car is shut off? Package 7 doesn't come with anti-theft system according to the Toyota brochure I consulted. Can anyone advise us about this?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    They all have a basic anti-theft system. Supposedly if you have the homelink mirror package, you also get the security package (unless either were dealer added).

Even the non-theft equipped Prius have the passive anti-theft with the key. It's basically a warning that they won't be able to easily hotwire the car IMHO :)

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

AKA, the "engine immobilizer". (This is what it's called on other cars that have this technology.)

Appears to be one of the features that insurance companies take into account when figuring out your rates.

4. Poppajack747

Poppajack747 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone have an opinion as to why the security light is so feeble? A crook would have to look really well to notice it. Anyone installed a more visible one?

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A serious crook wouldn't care how bright it was; an amateur would probably be deterred by the lack of any ignition to hotwire. According to my calculations, when gas hits $15.50 a gallon, we will all be keeping our Prii in underground vaults and driving in formation for protection.