1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

should brights be on the floor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, Jun 15, 2005.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys.. what do you think about a floor mounted button for the brights?
    My step dad used to have an 80's model Blazer (not quite the benchmark of great engineering or reliability) and there was a button on the floor by the "footrest" area that controlled the brights. It was very handy- and especially living in the mountains it is convenient. I am noticing that the Prius is hard to regain control of when a minor mishap occurs on the road- it's very unstable. I have learned to SLOW down quite a bit with this car- I am surprised that my pickup and my SUV that I got rid of for the Prius handle better than this car...
    The more I drive at night here- the more it becomes an issue- having to let go of the steering wheel to adjust the lights.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean going from low to high beam? it's just a flick backwards. There's no need to lift your hand from the wheel.

3. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Remax.....
    I'm not sure I've seen a Foot mounted high beam button in years. Certainly non on anything built outside the USA.

BTW, my '05 Prius handles quite well. No quite as tight as my Miata, but way better than any pickup truck or SUV I have driven. No problems at all recovering from minor mishaps. Perhaps checking tire pressures or an alignment would help?

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager\";p=\"98659)</div>
    Do you have VSC? I'd hate to think my money was wasted...

5. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do need to check my tire pressure- ever since I got my new ASSURANCE tires the car seems to handle worse.

When you are going around corners, your hand isn't always by the switch-

6. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as VSC- That is a sensitive issue- my dealer told me I had it- but I do not think I do... I knew so little about the car when I bought it that I trusted them- my bad! How do I know if it does???

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No, he does not have VSC. His avatar does not have fog lights. VSC is only on BC and AM models . . . and they are the only models with fog lights.

If he did have VSC he would not be complaining of losing control . . . unless he was complaining about losing control of being able to drive like a maniac! “That damn VSC stops me from doing power slides around corners and won’t let me do any more fishtailing or Bat Turns . . . I hate it!!!†:lol:

8. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha... no actually my driving has dramatically changed with this car- but any quick steering adjustment the whole car wants to slide... I am thinking maybe the tires are over inflated.

I had no idea what options the Prius had available- And now I wish I would have! I always knew every detail about the car I was buying- and I was nervous buying this, but figure it was a hybrid- it was probably the only model. They only had 2 on the lot- a white one and a blue one- and I didn't like it in white!

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I too did not like the white option I was given, so I waited a couple weeks extra for a Salsa. If I lived in the desert I would not have liked the Salsa and would have waited for white. In your case remaxmanager, white may not have been such a bad option. The sand and salt spray deposits on your car would blend in much better. Ooh the trials and tribulations of living along the Central and Northern California coast . . . . Hmmmmmm.

Eeeks, I see I have over 10 PriusChat points. As I am now on a minimalists points kick, I shall now donate all twelve or so to remaxmanager for being a good sport with my ribbing his driving.

P.S. Floor mounted high beam buttons were quite common on cars prior to the early ‘70s. In fact some cars even had a radio seek button down there too.
    :x Ooh, I HATE that Barry Manilow song >>> flash oncoming traffic!!! :x

10. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HA! I only wish I lived on the coast- that was taken on vacation. I live in the dreaded central valley- PLEASE don't throw stones- I promise I wanna move soon- hahah

11. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Embedding autoplay sound files in posts is very bad netiquete, especially when people check the site at work...

12. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Remaxmanager,

Ford was using floor mounted hi-beam switches until they finally abandoned their 1970s vintage collum architecture in the early 80s. I am very familiar with floor hi-beam switches and frankly they are a pain to operate. In a passenger car of that era, they are usually so far off to the left and so close to the firewall that you need to really reach to find it.

The main reason they were put on the floor was because they had no compound switches at that time (up, down, forward, backward, rotating switches on the end of the stalk, etc.). Compound switches require micro contacts and plastic framework that just wasn't thought of back then. Also, Ford was putting the tilt steering release on the turn signal stalk. Also a bit of a pain.

But to go back to your issue. Seems to me that a flick forward and a flick back is a non issue for most drivers. And on top of that I have yet to find an ocassion where I need to turn on or off the brights when I'm in a turn, especially a turn that would have my left hand more than 25 degrees above or below the stalk.

13. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, where is the imbedded sound post coming from? Who put it up? I'm getting a proxy server popup every time, of which I do not have the proxy password to give to the popup. I hope that is removed soon. Again, not a good thing for those of us at work.

Not all of us have the luxury of visiting from home.

14. dreichla

dreichla New Member

I agree - that scared the crap out of me - especially when I was trying to listen to KMFDM!

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like Remax needs adaptive front lighting systems :D

16. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil\";p=\"98748)</div>
    Sorry. I didn’t think of those ramifications. :oops:
    I had planed to put a picture of Mr. Manilow in the post, but that would have been equally distasteful to some. :pukeright:

Bad netiquete??? Funny, Danny allows the embedding of autoplay sound files on PriusChat.
    Maybe instead of blaming someone for bad netiquete, you might want to consider work ethics instead. :wink:

Barry Manilow while expecting KMFDM . . . WoW dreichla, you must have been stepping on all kinds of buttons to shut the damn thing off! :? :eek:

Sorry all! . . . now stop wasting company time and get back to work.

17. ml194152

ml194152 Member

I kind of wish they would move the bright lights switch off the turn signal column too (but not sure where to move it to). The reason is that sometimes when I use the turn signals I inadvertently actuate the bright lights. :?

18. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"98717)</div>
    No kidding! I miss a hand brake!

When I mash the accelerator on the floor, the front tires will squeal, at least, until the VCS kicks in. Kind of a bummer when you want to show someone the torque that the Prius has...

If you are not used to a car sliding, then yes it is probably scary. However, if you _drive_ then you will know the reaction that your vehicle has when you steer to avoid something.

Putting the hi's on the floor is american old skool. Any new (and dependable) car, locates the hi's at the end of the users finger tips.

If you aren't comfortable taking your hand an inch off the wheel to switch the hi's on, you probably have gotten to the point where you shouldn't be driving! ;)

The next time there is a light rain in your area, take your car out to an open empty lot. Have fun. You'll learn a lot!

If I had never tried to loose control in all the vehicles that I have driven, I wouldn't know the limits. Snow and ice are great for learning to _drive_.

19. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg\";p=\"98805)</div>
    That's the TC cutting in. I'm wondering if a more gradual stepping on the accelerator can avoid the TC cutting in while still getting the near maximum torque to the pavement. Or, getting more grippy tires.

20. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"98789)</div>
    Sorry. I didn’t think of those ramifications. :oops:
    I had planed to put a picture of Mr. Manilow in the post, but that would have been equally distasteful to some. :pukeright:

Bad netiquete??? Funny, Danny allows the embedding of autoplay sound files on PriusChat.
    Maybe instead of blaming someone for bad netiquete, you might want to consider work ethics instead. :wink:

Barry Manilow while expecting KMFDM . . . WoW dreichla, you must have been stepping on all kinds of buttons to shut the damn thing off! :? :eek:

Sorry all! . . . now stop wasting company time and get back to work.[/b][/quote]

Hahaha...I always found it funny when some complain about the fact that they don't agree with images or soundclips while checking the site from a job they're getting paid for :p The reverse of the coin is true, "not all of us have the luxury of surfing the forum while we're being paid to do a job", so we have to do so at home. :lol: Oh, it's all good though, guess it's just the accountant in me trying to make sure every payroll penny is accounted for :wink:

Dave.