1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should Canada send back a US deserter?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Mar 30, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

Canada to decide on US deserter

Mr Key believes the war was unjustified

Canada's refugee board is to hear the asylum plea of a US soldier who fled to Canada to avoid serving in Iraq.
    Josh Key served as an explosives expert in Iraq for eight months. He deserted to Canada with his family in 2004.

Mr Key, who faces a court martial if returned to the US, says he refuses to fight in a war he regards as immoral and illegal.

About 20 US soldiers have applied for asylum in Canada. Two have already had their applications rejected.

The Immigration and Refugee Board said it was not convinced the men would face persecution if they were sent back to the US.

They have said they will appeal against the decision.

'Innocent people'

Speaking to the BBC, Mr Key said he was in Iraq when he realised the war was unjustified.

"The only people that were getting hurt was the innocent; that was innocent Iraqi people, as well as innocent soldiers."

On his return to the US, he told the army that he did not want to return, but was advised that he would face prison if he refused. It was then that he decided to desert.

"Before I went to Iraq, I was trained on how to escape terrorists. You learn to only go where crime is already at. You only go somewhere where who cares about a deserter if somebody is getting murdered every night. I went to Philadelphia," he said.

He spent 14 months in the city, before deciding to flee to Canada.

While Canada opposed the US-led invasion of Iraq, the BBC's Lee Carter in Toronto says officials are aware that accusing Washington of persecuting its own citizens would cause an international diplomatic incident.

During the Vietnam war, more than 100,000 Americans went to Canada to avoid the draft.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As a pacifist, I oppose all war, and support any soldier who decides to quit participating in war. I try to talk people out of joining in the first place, and if they bring back the draft I'll support draft-refusers and draft-dodgers. But if a person makes the mistake of joining and only later realizes his/her mistake, I'll support the choice to leave.

So, yes, I believe Canada should grant assylum.

From a legal technicality standpoint, these desertion cases are different than the Vietnam-era draft-dodger cases. Since Canada does not have a draft, draft-dodging is not a crime there, and Canada does not extradite people whose actions would not have been a crime in Canada. Therefore a draft-dodger seeking assylum in Canada has an open and shut case. But Canada does have a military, and presumably desertion is a crime there. So these people do not have the defense that their action would not have been a crime in Canada; and they must instead argue that they would be persecuted if they were extradited. That raises the controversial issue of whether legal prosecution for refusing to participate in a war the defendant considers illegal is "persecution" or not.

Again, I feel that Canada should grant assylum, but they have a much more difficult case to argue in court, since courts typically could not care less about right and wrong, but only about the technical issues involved.

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

There's an important piece of information we're missing here... Can anyone comment on just what exactly will happen if you (an active member of whatever military branch) elect the "objector" status (or some other similar mechanism) within any of the armed forces? I find it a bit difficult to believe you'd be thrown in jail, but rather something more amongst the lines of being dishonorably discharged, and forfeiting whatever benefits active members get.

Dare I ask if anyone here knows precise military law within this respect?

4. jared2

jared2 New Member

There seem to be 3 aspects to this case: Legal, Moral and Political.
    1.Legal - I am not a lawyer, but legally, Josh Key is classified as a deserter. " He deserted to Canada with his family in 2004." He is not a conscientious objector, since he would have had to declare that before going to war. Indeed, he was a volunteer. So the legal question is can someone have a change of heart and decide to become a conscientous objector after having volunteered for war? From what do know of military law, I doubt it very much. The Canadian Immigration and Refugee Board also said that "it was not convinced the men would face persecution if they were sent back to the US." They certainly would face prosecution.

2. Moral - Canada's prime minister, Jean Chretien opposed the invasion of Iraq - a couragious postion helped by the fact that he was near retirement. Since Canada is opposed to the war on essentially moral grounds (also because it is a violation of international law), Canada should accept his application for refugee status.

3. Political - Canada always bends over backwards to avoid antagonizing the US. To accept Josh Key would be tantamount to condeming not only US foreign policy, but also its laws concerning desertion. For political reasons, Canada will therefore reject Mr. Key's application.

5. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Mar 30 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]232398[/snapback]</div>

Since I'm MILDLY interested in this point, I did some brief, cursory research, and came up with this article:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=386694

Key excerpt:

"Petty Officer 2nd Class Mike Tonn from Fond du Lac served more than three years in the Navy before requesting a conscientious objector discharge in 2004. Tonn was 18 when he joined in July of 2000 "as a way to get out of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin," for the adventure and college money. It was pre-9-11 and he never thought he'd go to war.

Tonn said he realized he couldn't carry out the Navy's mission after the captain of the USS Lake Champlain asked him to give a speech to sailors on Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday.

"He (King) pleaded to American soldiers they should get out of the war in Vietnam and it clicked with me," Tonn said. "I believed in what Martin Luther King said. . . . I realized I'm not going to walk down the street and kill someone."

Tonn's request was approved about four months later and he received an honorable discharge, but not before investigators tried to "trap" him with aggressive and passion-provoking questions, he said.

Tonn sought advice from an anti-war group before applying and interviewing and was prepared to answer the tough questions, he said.

Tonn said a few shipmates called him names but there was no serious backlash from superiors or civilians once he returned to Wisconsin. He now is an active member of Peace-Out and advises other troops on the conscientious objector process. He is attending college in Portland, Ore."

Some vague summary from the official Selective Service site from the U.S. Gov.:

http://www.sss.gov/FSconsobj.htm

Of course they're going to make it difficult, like getting out of any contract, but at least there is most certainly a way out, and not ONLY that, there are varying grades within...

Never fully doubt anything... ;)

6. jared2

jared2 New Member

Thanks for the article. the case of Josh Key is different in that he deserted from the army - he didn't just request CO status. I also note from the guidelines re: CO status

In general, the man's lifestyle prior to making his claim must reflect his current claims.

This may be hard to reconcile with his having volunteered for the army in the first place.

Latest news on similar case. As predicted, the application is denied for polical reasons.

"US deserter denied Canada asylum

Hinzman's case has support in Canada (Photo: Mark Laking)
    A former US soldier who quit the army in protest against the Iraq war has been denied refugee status in Canada.
    Jeremy Hinzman, 26, was the first to receive an answer from a number of US deserters seeking Canadian residency.

Mr Hinzman, who served in Afghanistan in a non-combat role, left the 82nd Airborne Regiment when he was deployed to Iraq.

Correspondents say the decision may affect eight other ex-servicemen, but improve Canadian-US relations.

In its judgement Canada's Immigration and Refugee Board said Mr Hinzman had not convinced its members that he would face persecution if he were sent back to the US.

Board member Brian Goodman wrote in the judgement: "The treatment does not amount to a violation of a fundamental human right, and the harm is not serious."

The ruling did not come as a surprise, the BBC's Lee Carter in Toronto says.

While Canada opposed the US-led invasion of Iraq, officials are aware that accusing Washington of persecuting its own citizens would cause an international diplomatic incident, our correspondent says.

Jail threat

Mr Hinzman's lawyer said he planned to appeal, and that they remained confident of success.

Given that I enlisted for a noble country, doing noble things, I thought, if called upon I would do it. After being trained, I realised I could not

Jeremy Hinzman

Deserter's Canada hope

"He is disappointed. We don't believe that people should be imprisoned if what they're asked to do is illegal," Jeffry House told Canadian TV.

Mr House also settled in Canada after dodging the US military draft during the Vietnam War.

If Mr Hinzman's appeal is not successful, his final option would be a direct plea to Canada's immigration minister for leave to remain on compassionate grounds.

He faces court martial proceedings and could be sentenced to up to five years in prison if he fails and is returned to the US.

Mr Hinzman fled his unit in January 2004, shortly before the 82nd Airborne was due in Iraq.

He had served three years in the army, but had asked to be classified as a conscientious objector ahead of deployment to Afghanistan in 2002.

Mr Hinzman now lives with his wife and young son in Toronto, where his case has been championed by Quakers and anti-war activist groups. "

7. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Mar 30 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]232414[/snapback]</div>
    No see, you expressed a high degree of doubt of the possibility on this particular, specific aspect, and I attempted to shed some light on that specific matter for you, as your high degree of doubt is relatively unfounded sans research on the matter, it's a sub-discussion of the Josh Key case.

As for it being hard to reconcile, well, no kidding. When you sign a contract with the military...

(Keyword = MILITARY:

mil·i·tar·y ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ml-tr)
    adj.
    Of, relating to, or characteristic of members of the armed forces: a military bearing; military attire.
    Performed or supported by the armed forces: military service.
    Of or relating to war: military operations.
    Of or relating to land forces. )

...there is an explicit understanding you may very well find yourself in a war.

The point is, there are alternatives if you don't want to shoot someone. They leave the door open for such things like transferring you to some duty, and I'd bet there are some more ways to get out of it too. Many people are propagating the idea that, essentially, if you don't want to fight, the evil, fascist, U.S. empire will throw you in JAIL.

...and I wonder, truly, why?

:rolleyes:

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

"Tonn's request was approved about four months later and he received an honorable discharge"

My point is - why did Mike Tonn receive an honorable discharge if he clearly did not show a pattern of pacifist behaviour prior to his request for CO status, as the guidelines require. The case is interesting not for confirming my assumption, but for being an exception to it. I can only conclude that it was highly politicized by the peace movement and that the decision was, as usual. based on political expediency rather than established guidelines.

By the way, you don't really have to give me patronizing definitions of common words. We already know you are brilliant.

9. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Mar 30 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]232440[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes:

:lol: this is why I, for the most part, have no interest in aruging with your contingency... There is nothing that can be presented for which you would either refine, or heaven forbid, cause you to change your position... :lol:

Really, think about it, Canada doesn't seem to believe any serious repercussions will come of it, and US Gov. sources (yes, I know, biased by that monster Bush who should be impeached right? lolololol) seem to leave a LOT of wiggle room for such, similar mechanisms. So, what is more likely? That situations like the ones I pointed out are "exceptions", or yours?

:lol:

10. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Mar 30 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]232489[/snapback]</div>
    On the contrary, Canada does fear the political implications of granting deserters asylum, which is why they have decided to send them back rather than doing the right thing, accepting them as refugees. The fact that the US wants to extradite them implies that they will face court martial and jail time, does it not? Canada was opposed to the invasion on largely moral grounds, but will give up these deserters on political grounds. My "position" is that this is a betrayal of Canadian values. If you can give me a convincing argument why it isn't then I will consider changing it. (And no definitions required - I have the OED at hand, thank you)

11. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Mar 30 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]232518[/snapback]</div>
    Then again, we are talking 2 out of roughly 20... Don't you think you might be jumping to conclusions a bit? After all there are many variables being left out of this story...

Sure, I think it's reasonable to get that feeling from that statement, however, it's very nebulous at best. Are they guaranteed to get jail time? Of course not, besides, back to the missing variables, it's not clear why the 'proper channels' didn't work. I'm just saying, there's waaaaay too much we don't know about his case in particular.

You said, *Canadian Values*. I'm not sure about applying *Canadian Values* to those who aren't quite Canadian, that's kind of like extraterritorial application of laws in a sense.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Mar 30 2006, 11:55 AM) [snapback]232518[/snapback]</div>
    If Mr Key were a Canadian citizen when he joined the US Army, then the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Board may have a difficult decision on its hands regarding “betrayal of Canadian values.â€

Instead of owning up to the consequences of his actions (joining the US military), Mr Key is looking for the easiest way out of the situation he put himself in by fleeing to Canada . . . a country with a legal and political system he hopes will be sympathetic to his cause.

Mr Key's actions has elevated what is essentially a personal morality and legal conflict into an international incident which was hoisted upon Canada just because Canada happens to be geographically, culturally, and politically to Mr Key's liking. This has noting to do with Canada, except Mr Key decided to flee there.

Should Canada allow Mr Key to stay? Not unless Canada wants more “refugees†like Mr Key to use Canada for their own personal gain . . . no-matter-the-cause.

Is Mr Key a refugee? No.
    If he were to be returned to the United States, would he be persecuted because of his newfound beliefs? NO! If that were the case, then everyone who holds his beliefs would be persecuted, whether desertion was involved or not. That fact proves Mr Key is not a refugee from persecution.
    Mr Key would be prosecuted for the act of desertion – a violation of his enlistment contract, a legal conflict -not because of what he does or doesn't believe, a moral conflict.

It would be best for everyone involved if Mr Key were to stand trial on the desertion charges, serve out whatever sentence is handed down, and then get on with his life - and if that then involves migrating to Canada, so be it. Instead, his desertion has been elevated to pit one side against another, and possibly one country against another. The subject is desertion, not belief systems.

Mr Key needs to take responsibility for his own actions.

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

In all honesty, my preference would simply be to simply agree to send any deserter to any country they choose, and bar them from EVER returning. That is plenty of punishment and serves the purpose well.

14. jared2

jared2 New Member

"f Mr Key were a Canadian citizen when he joined the US Army, then the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Board may have a difficult decision on its hands regarding “betrayal of Canadian values.â€

This is an interesting point. Mystery Squid made it as well. Actually, I am not referring to Mr. Key's values at all. I am referring to the values of the Canadian people in a collective sense. There is no doubt from opinion polls that the majority of Canadians agreed with Prime Minister Chretien in opposing the invasion of Iraq on moral grounds and on grounds of it being a violation of internation law and the will of the United Nations. So the question for the Canadians (and it is a Canadian matter because Mr. Key is in Canada and has asked to live there permanently) is whether they should send him and others like him back to the US where he will face punishment for opposing a war that Canadians as a whole also oppose. If the board sends him back, then it will be betraying Canadian values as expressed in opinion polls by the majority of Canadians. As I say, it is a complicated question with moral, legal and political overtones.

15. SusieQ

SusieQ New Member

I don't believe in Bush's wars. I would not send that person back here to be put in prison.

16. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SusieQ @ Mar 31 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]232890[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. I wonder if there are any Canadians out there who have an opinion?

17. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Don't we (the USA) shoot or hang deserters, in time of war?

18. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spunky @ Mar 31 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]232897[/snapback]</div>

Lets just send them on a hunting trip with Dick Cheney.

19. Mystery Squid

See, this is what I mean...

Is it possible to have a non-biased, rational, discussion when looking through glasses as such?

Nope. You come into an argument with a serious anti-Bush slant, almost any counter argument is effectively useless because the core beliefs are in different places...

When people can take a point, and TRULY put asided their bias, then you have a good argument. Anything other is just a pissing match.

20. Spunky

Spunky New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Mar 31 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]232902[/snapback]</div>

:lol:

No, seriously, aren't we at war?
    Don't we view desertion, and treat deserters, differently when at war than we do in peacetime?

Guess what Rumsfeld would say?

How about we allow the deserter's old comrades to decide his fate?