1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should freed Guantanamo detainees be compensated?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, May 16, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

Give UN rights team access to Guantanamo, U.S. urged

MATTHEW PENNINGTON

[​IMG]

Associated Press

Islamabad — The United States should follow its disclosure of the names of all Guantanamo Bay detainees by allowing UN rights investigators complete access to the prison, the chairwoman of Pakistan's independent human-rights commission said Tuesday.

Asma Jehangir, who served on a UN panel that recently issued a scathing report on Guantanamo, also demanded compensation for freed detainees and accused Pakistani intelligence of intimidating Pakistani inmates who had been released from the facility in Cuba and repatriated.

Ms. Jehangir said that despite the Pentagon's release of 759 detainee names, nationalities and ages, the lack of information about parentage, addresses or where they were arrested made it very difficult to trace their relatives.

“We want full information. We don't want bits and pieces, and we don't want this game that is played between the U.S. and its so-called allies in the war on terrorism,†she said.

“We want to get to the depths of the human-rights violations so it doesn't happen again in the future.â€

Pakistan is a key U.S. ally in the war on terror, and many of those held in Guantanamo were captured in Pakistan after fleeing neighbouring Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban regime in late 2001 following a U.S.-led military campaign to avenge the Sept. 11 attacks on America.

Pakistan's Foreign Ministry declined immediate comment on the release of the list, including some 200 previously undisclosed names of detainees who were moved out of Guantanamo before the summer of 2004, but it was welcomed in neighbouring Afghanistan.

A spokesman for Afghanistan's peace and reconciliation commission, which helps returning Guantanamo detainees reintegrate into society, said the move would help the agency speed the repatriation of the prisoners. About one-quarter of detainees at Guantanamo have been Afghans, and scores of them are due to be shifted to a prison outside Kabul later this year.

“This will be very useful for us to push for their release,†Sayed Sharif Yousofy said. “We have requested the release of all Afghans in U.S. detention.â€

Hundreds of Afghans are still held in U.S.-run detention facilities in Afghanistan, and the United States is suspected of also detaining people in other countries.
    Despite the Pakistani government's continuing efforts to free Pakistanis that remain at Guantanamo, Ms. Jehangir accused it of failing to disclose the names of those who had already been freed and of blocking access to them or their lawyers.

“They (the freed detainees) are being threatened by local intelligence agencies. Their movements are monitored. They can't go to the courts because the courts are monitored as well,†she said.

The Pentagon list includes 65 Pakistanis, most of whom have been released. At least six Pakistanis are still being held at Guantanamo, although a senior Interior Ministry official, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue, said it believes as many as 29 are still in U.S. custody, either at the prison in Cuba or in Afghanistan.

Ms. Jehangir repeated the demand that UN rights investigators be granted “total access†to Guantanamo and that the U.S. government support an international commission led by the world body that would also look into demands for compensation of freed detainees.

In February, the UN panel of five independent experts accused Washington of practices that “amount to torture†at Guantanamo and recommended its closing. It demanded detainees be allowed a fair trial or be freed.
    The panel, which had sought access to Guantanamo Bay since 2002, refused a U.S. offer for three experts to visit the camp last November after being told they could not interview detainees.

2. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Place the shoe on the other foot. IF/when YOU are illegally arrested on trumped up charges with no proof would YOU be pissed off? Naturally, if you are engaged in nefarious terrorist practices and caught it's a slam-dunk. Still, under both scenarios wouldn't you want the basic oversight of an international community?

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ May 16 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]256256[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but the UN needs to foot the bill, we dont want our children having to foot the bill...

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Oh yeah, I'm sure the U.S. simply rounded up a few hundred folks because they looked "mean", or were convenient to detain at the time, so they could keep them in Gitmo for no good reason. I get it, it's a test to see just how far the UN will go! :rolleyes:

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    At least you are consistant. America always wrong and evil - cool.

Try this - try the Red Cross is there 24/7. Try that they are not being beheaded or tourtured - or in other words what they have done and will do to our captured CIVILIANS much less our troops. Try the fact that they VIOLATED every Geneva Convention and deserve NO protection as such. Try that there is more oversight there by American political bodies than ever has been afforded any POW camp - remember - they are not afforded the rights of POW's since they do not adhere to the Geneva Conventions of War.

Try the fact that several dozen who have been let go ended back up on the battlefield trying to kill American soldiers and innocent civilians.

Try to believe we are in a war, that war is evil, and those that are fighting us are evil. What would you do with captured terrorists - not combatants - terrorists? Would you offer them access to our civilian courts and the protection afforded US citizens?

And at least you continue to cite anti-American press sources.

What about the flushed down Koran they reported on FALSELY??

And what is the world doing about the "POW's" that terrorists capture and kill. What rights are they being afforded - or is this just a one way street as far as you (and the AP) is concerned. What about the thousands of civilians they kill in Mosques - and all the Koran's they desicrate - and the mass murders they continue to undertake --- hopefully your side will one day fight like men and stop targeting those that can't defend themselves.

Maybe one day you will wish to handicap those that are trying to harm us more than those trying to defend you (if you live in the USA). One day perhaps....

6. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 16 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]256261[/snapback]</div>
    I "roll my eyes" over your naivety. Another poster put it well in the blurred license plate thread:

"This childish faith and trust in the gov't just floors me (especially THIS gov't).

But I fear and deeply distrust gov't. It puts awesome power into the hands of mere mortal humans who are strangers to me, and who can ruin me without a flicker of conscience as they flex their authortarian muscle. And THIS gov't careering at accelerating speed toward fascism is terrifying to behold.

I've nothing to hide from my neighbors; and EVERYTHING to hide from gov't. And that's true across all history and all gov'ts."

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not sure why the UN should be responsible for footing the bill. I don't think the UN was responsible for coralling the people in the first place. For example, if Wisconson wrongly imprisoned someone and then has to compensate them, I don't want Illinois taxpayers (me) to pay for it. Let those who are responsible make amends.

What do you mean that we don't want our children to foot the bill? Our children will be paying for our actions for decades to come. If we imprison people from other nations and then decide to let them go with merely a slap on the back all the while convincing our children that it's someone else's fault and responsibility, just what does that do for our children?

The best thing a parent could do is own up for their actions and teach their children what's right and wrong.

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 16 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]256272[/snapback]</div>
    I would rather trust an entity like my government who has a history of trying to protect me and my way of life and preserving it for my children rather than people like you who do not believe this way of life is worth fighting for.

It is you who fightens me to death - thankfully your numbers are small and your effect on the general population large - the post on wedge issues for this upcoming election failed to mention the largest wedge issue of all - the far lefts hate and rage and belief that our way of life is not worth defending. For that I thank you - keep calling Bush a Fascist - keep calling to impeach him - keep it up - keep firing up my base and moving swing voters to the right - for that I thank you and am thankful for freedom of speech - so we can see how and what you think.

Keep not supporting the troops AND the mission. Keep being disingenuous. Thank you for living in the '60's still - we need reminders of how and what not to be. From the Greatest Generation spawned the Worst Generation.

9. jared2

jared2 New Member

I am not at all anti-US. I am against the use of torture. Today is the 40th anniverary of the Chinese Cultural Revolution. Here is a short interesting account of how a totalitarian state operates. Once the US accepts the use of torture and illegal confinement, can it be that far from a totalitarian state like China in the 1960's?

Eyewitness: Cultural Revolution

Tuesday marks the 40th anniversary since the start of China's bloody Cultural Revolution.

Survivors from the decade-long turmoil recounted their experiences for the BBC's Chinese Service.

Former Red Guard
    Son of torture victim
    Attempted suicide

SON OF TORTURE VICTIM

My father came back from America in 1948. He was a physician in the United States - a very honest and conscientious doctor.

Because he had been in America, he was accused of being an American spy. What was the evidence? He had a radio. They said it was a radio-transmitter and someone actually saw him sending information.

It was nonsense, of course, but he was then locked into a room. He was interrogated and beaten.

I myself didn't see my father being tortured. But I was told he was covered in a cotton duvet and beaten so that he couldn't see the people doing the beating.

Once a nurse in his hospital shoved a mop into my father's mouth and shouted 'You talk about hygiene - now I will give you a good brush of your teeth!' That was terrible. Could my father bear it? Of course he couldn't .

My father died in 1968. It was suicide, they said - hanging from a radiator. But we can't be certain. He was 60.

I was not by my father's side when he died. My mother didn't tell me. She was worried that if I came back home I would be arrested and tortured. I felt so sad, but what could I do?

My mother was also severely beaten because of my father. It was so bad there was blood in her urine. My mother was defiant but that made them torture her more.

I was about to graduate from university at the time. Because of my father I was sent to a remote county and stayed there for 12 years.

During that time, people were taught to be suspicious of everything, everyone. People saw each other as potential enemies. That had a long lasting damaging effect on Chinese society.

Deng Xiaoping later said that there should be no more political movements. I really support this policy. It's very easy to go to extremes with political movements.

We should now focus on economic development. If we had the policy we have now, my father would not have suffered.

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

11. Schmika

Schmika New Member

NO and HELL NO! I trust the UN as far as I can reach them with a stream of pi**.

12. jared2

jared2 New Member

How am I "totally off topic"? I am discussing totalitarian states and the use of illegal abduction and torture, often against completely innocent people - the atmosphere of fear and paranoia that makes everyone fear his neigbour as a potential terrorist. Isn't the US just a bit like China was during the cultural revolution? I was not there, but I have friends who lived through it. And if the US accepts the use of torture, hasn't it already lost the war to protect freedom and liberty? As dsunman put it, "Rightards are yapping about freedom and spreading 'democracy' around the world, while we resort to tactics that are as dictatorial as of those whom we are supposed to liberate."

Suppose you (or your wife or son or daughter) were about to board a plane and your name appeared on a list and you are thrown in jail as a suspected terrorist - would you then support the government - after all, it is an honest mistake - you (or your wife or son or daugher) could be a terrorist. I doubt you would be so sanguine then. After all, if it happened to Mr. Arar, it can happen to you, me, anyone.

13. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 16 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]256298[/snapback]</div>
    Of course, this also assumes your name was placed on the list for no real good reason... Do you really think the gov. sits there and puts names on this list just for the heck of it? Do you think someone at DHS sits there blindfolded with a phone book pointing at numbers? Or do they intentionally draw up a list of anyone who doesn't agree with Bush, and/or posts paranoia propaganda on Prius Chat? :lol:

I think jared is a DHS operative looking for people that fiercely agree with him. So if any of you PC'ers ardently, and openly, agree with jared, don't be surprised if you get the, "Sir, could you please come with us..." next time you're about to board a plane... :lol:

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 16 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]256298[/snapback]</div>
    off topic? just read your post here and the answer is self-evident. Just the part about the US being a bit like China - Holy Cow Batman, Robin has a head injury :) The fat lady is singing the third refrain. The EverReady bunny is buzzed.

Defense rests - wishing for common sense to prevail here but not hopeful.

And, torture is OK in certain circumstances - anyone who does not believe that has their head in the sand with their body to follow shortly thereafter. Dont you think so??????????????? Please answer this one at the least seeing how you have ducked everything else I have asked you to opion on. Please, Please......

Again, my default is not to think that my government (being a US citizen) is evil and wrong and that the US is a force for evil and doom like it is yours. I see all the good we have done and how it by far outways the bad we have done.

Forget it.... Enjoy your views and opinions -- keep voicing them and energizing the right and swing voters. And in the primary vote for Hillary - please, please, please, and get your friends to do so too.

You don't teach do you? Do you write for the NY Times? Work in the CIA?? :)

15. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 16 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]256310[/snapback]</div>
    The government making the list is the same government that coordinated the Katrina relief effort. We all know how well that went. And don't forget, Mr. Arar and most of the Guantanamo prisoners were found to be such dangerous terrorists that they were released . Not charged, not detained, just let go. Why? - they are innocent.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 16 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]256310[/snapback]</div>
    That would be toooo funny. He sure is very convincing that he hates America. You could be right. Although my thought was that he is a plant and waiting for his cell to be activated by OBL. He would love to take down the White House or its occupant - I would not put it past him :) There are others here on this BB too that would love to see President Bush harmed in any way, shape or form. Funny how tolerant they are of others and not Bush himself. Being a lefty must be painful being at conflict depending on what topic you are discussing or even thinking about (obvious less thought and more reaction and emotion).

17. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 16 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]256313[/snapback]</div>
    Please answer my question about what you would do if you were detained at an airport by your own government. And if they decided you were lying would it be just fine by you for them to use a little torture? And if so, then exactly where are the precious freedoms and liberties you and neocons are always going on about?

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 16 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]256319[/snapback]</div>
    Still not answering my questions. I will answer yours if you answer mine. I go first.

I do not worry about being detained - having been through airports on a regular basis - but if I were - I would ask to contact counsel as an American citizen - a right granted to me. I would also text my wife/family what was happening to me to alert them. I little torture would not be necessary - I would cooperate fully.

Your turn...

19. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 16 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]256272[/snapback]</div>

wow, have you ever thought of relocating ? Mexico, South America or Canada? since you can trust your neighbor until they break into your home, but you cant trust goverment? :eek:

, has their head in the sand, this sounds like 1/2 the posters here runnining around squawking and popping their heads into the sand :lola:

Another poster put it well in the blurred license plate thread, I've nothing to hide from my neighbors; and EVERYTHING to hide from govt. And that's true across all history and all gov'ts."

Until someone gets your social security number, then your bank account , credit cards, idenity, runs rampant with credit cards and your left holding the bills and trying to prove you your innocent,
    but that will never happen to you because you trust your fellow man right?

yeah baby you go dbmermanmd Nicely said: Oh dont mind me Im the Righty Cheerleader :lol: :lol:

20. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 16 2006, 12:52 PM) [snapback]256322[/snapback]</div>
    As a suspected terrorist the government could send you to a foreign country under the policy of extraordinary rendition and you would have no right to an attorney or to contact your wife. You could be held indefinately, since the Patriot Act cancelled habeus corpus.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 16 2006, 12:53 PM) [snapback]256323[/snapback]</div>

Your quotation: "I reject your reality and substitute my own" is highly appropriate. Just take out the word "your"

"But that will never happen to you because you trust your fellow man right?"

I do not. I only trust a government that fully respects the legal protections for human and civil rights that have been established gradually and with great difficulty over hundreds of years. And such a govenment requires citizens that also recognize the importance of civil rights.