1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should get a 2009 or 2010?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by technoratic, May 1, 2009.

1. technoratic

technoratic Newbie Prius Owner :)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

Being a newbie to the hybrid world, I have a question, are the differences (base model comparision here no packages) between the 2009 and the 2010 great enough for me to get the 2010 over the 2009? I mean, how much better is the highway ride and handling over the 2009? is the ev mode and eco mode buttons worth it?

I'm asking because where I am, I think I get the dealer to agree to some hefty discounts on the 2009 given that most people where I live drive around in SUVs and the like.

Thanks in advance! ;)

2. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

If you can get a 2009 Prius package 5 or 6 for invoice then get the 2009. If not wait a month and get the 2010. If you stay away from the options you will pay about the same for a better car with the 2010. The 2010 Prius 2 for under $23k is probably the best car value in the market right now. If you want a loaded 2010, look to spend over $30k. Figure out want you want to spend. Then choose the options you want or need. Then place the 2009 and 2010 on paper next to each other and see if there is really enough saving to sway you one way or the other. Remember if you go with the 2009, you are buying a car that is 1 year old on paper and you will take a hit with resale value. If you plan to lease then this does not matter.

1 person likes this.
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure the 2010 is an all around better car, although in the PriusII you give up the 3 door smart key and backup camera.

If looking to buy, I would take the better seats, more power and rear headroom any day.

But, you could save a few thousand getting an 09.

1 person likes this.
  4. winebuff

winebuff Proud owner of a 2010 Prius

Model:
    IV
    DEFINITELY THE 10. Ditto from above. Be informed and check out all the links on the site and you will see why. Better car.

1 person likes this.
  5. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Wait for the 2010. For the small price jump on top of the current Prius, its a vastly superior car dynamically and in terms of interior spaciousness. It now virtually equals the first gen Prius in terms of headroom, and blows away the current Prius which has terrible headroom in the rear especially. The handling is far superior to anything I think Toyota has put out to date. I would stick with the base model radio, as the higher level audio systems are just a few points better than the base, but still terrible. Much better to save that money and upgrade the stereo which is not possible on the current Prius as it is all integrated. Or use the money to upgrade to the solar panel roof. The ride is firmer than the current Prius too, I would say about 30% stiffer, but its still quite comfortable. Also the Visibility is better at all angles compared to the current Prius, though no match for the gigantic glass area of the Generation 1 Prius!

Overall, wait for it, it will be worth it, and you will be much happier with your purchase. I have said it all along after my test drive of the 2010. If you are a current Prius owner, the only reason you would buy the 2010 is simply because you want to have the latest and greatest. Otherwise fuel economy, though better, is not enough to justify the additional cost, if you look at it in those terms. However if you are a non-hybrid owner, then it makes absolute and total sense waiting for the 2010, as it is in fact a superior car and a definite step up from whatever you are currently driving. Hope this helped!

1 person likes this.
  6. technoratic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for your options especially mlibanio who test drove the 2010. I think I will wait a few months until the initial hype has died down a bit then I'll look at purchasing. I might as well wait and get something that I'd be satisfied with rather than trying to save a few bucks. After all I usually keep my cars at least 10 years. It won't stop me from test driving a 2010 this summer though!

I'm looking forward to that! :) Cheers all!

7. technoratic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, for a non-hybrid owner...3.8L/100km worst case looks very attractive when compared to 6.9L/100km best case with my 00 accord 2.3L totally awesome!

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't say 3.8L/100km is the worst case lol. I'd say 6.9L/100km is the worst case for a Prius! (most cause I haven't been able to achieve that.. I might've gotten up to 6 before in the middle of winter but I don't remember).

9. technoratic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess...but I was referring to the 2010 combined estimate fuel econ. But I guess the worst case would be higher if you're doing jack-rabbit starts and punching it on the highways. Right now, I'm only doing 6.9L/100km by quasi-hypermiling with a 2.3L 4cyl which is pretty good given the engine size and what other people with their accords, but its horrid when compared to a hybrid! :)

10. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow. You really think highly of the Gen I versus II.

I couldn't stand the Gen I when I drove it. I felt like I was driving a cramped Echo.
    Better headroom in the Gen I?!? We must have been driving different cars.

11. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ignore the 09 MSRP. You should be able to get an 09 for at least $2-3k less than a comparable 2010. The dealers want to clear their lots. Especially with the $1000 rebate from Toyota, I honestly would not pay anything more than invoice, delivered (plus tax/title/license) for an 09 - probably a bit less. So, you just have to ask yourself, are the differences between the models worth $2-3k?

In terms of fuel economy, definitely not. Even with the helpful Econ and EV buttons (and did I hear those can be custom installed in the Gen II?), the Gen III has only marginally improved MPG.

Especially at the base level, it comes down more to aesthetics. The Gen III interior is supposedly nicer and, to my eye, the Gen III body design is much sharper.

12. jaybrams

jaybrams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 2009 instead of waiting. Around here, dealers are charging additional dealer markup of $4000 over sticker for the 2010. The 2009s are discounted. Last year at this time, I couldn't get my hands on a 2008 and the dealers wanted $5000 over sticker for those that they did have. Although gas prices are low now and Prius sales have fallen off, I decided it wasn't worth the wait until the 2010's come down to sticker or less. The summer is the driving season and gas usually rises in price. I decided a bird in the hand was worth one in the bush. After last year's mania, and the expected high demand for the 2010, I figured an end of the model run '09 should have few bugs left to work out, and a nice discount as well.

I'm sure to have Prius envy in a couple of months - but at least I won't have paid over sticker. I also had several to choose from on the lot, not a situation I anticipate for the 2010s anytime soon.