1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I ask for an allignment ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AMG, Jul 2, 2008.

1. AMG

AMG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I will be taking my car in for its first 5000 miles service, I have a 08 touring package 6,

My question is, should i ask for an allignment / readings to make sure it is actually within spec ? I do not have any MPG issues, averaging 48-50 mpg on a 80 miles daily commute, the only thing i notice is the steering wheel is slightly off center to the left.

Should I get an allignment readings or don't even mention since my MPG seems to be doing ok ?

2. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    same here, but since mileage and tracking seem ok, i would leave well enuff alone

3. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My first question to you is if your familiar with the BT stiffening plate and how that helps the car? Is your steering wheel off center or does it feel like wind is pushing your car all over the place (which would make it seem like your steering wheel is off center). Many people ask the same thing, but usually it is not the alignment. There are allot of threads on here if you search under BT Stiffening Plate. I even at first thought my alignment was messed up but it ended up just being the stock plate toyota uses.
    Here are a couple where the members explain it much better than me,lol
    http://priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/32652-prius-out-control-heavy-wind.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-modifications/16395-bt-stiffening-plate-review.html

I hope those help.

4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    mine was out pulling left. It was fixed and is all good now. It can and does happen as they lash the car down on the ship and it can screw up the toe in and camber.

It cost nothing to have it cheked under warranty.

5. AMG

AMG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Its not the wind, the steering wheel is off slightly, maybe by 2-3 mm, not perfectly centered but still considered as normal i guess, just need an execuse for the free allignment before 10k comes up.

I am just wondering if I should even ask for the allignment to straighten the streering when I am not having any MPG (48-51) issues. Sometimes it may do more harms than good when it came out of a dealer service bay.....

6. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i heard all prius cars come with a secret alignment warranty, and you can score 1 free alignment at your local dealership if you bring it in, i got mine

i think it has somethng to do with the way the cars are put on the boat when they
    ship them from japan to america