1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy? '06 with 54K

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by hippopotalust, Nov 9, 2014.

1. hippopotalust

hippopotalust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going to be that person - I have wanted a prius for several years now, and the plan was to wait until I could afford a newer model but my current ride is not going to last that long. I commute ~500miles per week, 90% highway.

I am looking at a '06, 54k miles, clean carfax, 1 owner, asking $10,300 (actually 10.6 - it magically jumped up $300 when i made an inquiry). Maintenance log indicates dealer maintenance about every 5k.

I don't believe the battery has been replaced - car had not been detailed or washed when I saw it, so I doubt it had had anything else done either.

Thoughts? Your experience is appreciated.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the mileage is real and the odometer hasn't been messed with, it could be a good buy. When your battery fails, just buy a new one at your local dealer for $2000-$2500. So under $13000, you should have a reliable car for the next few years.

3. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hippopotalust – 54k-miles on a 2006 cranks out to ~6/7k-miles per year. IMHO, $10K± for a 2006 is way too much money to pay for a used Prius in Kentucky. You should be able do better. For that kind of money you should be able get a newer model year, 2007 Prius Sedan or maybe newer. KBB shows a 2006 Prius w/ 86,832 miles located in Florence, KY listed for $7,974.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! if it's kbb or less, sounds like a good one. all the best!(y)

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...sounds a bit expensive....since KY is not CARB you are off warranty for the battery.
    Somehow the low miles does not always equate to the hybrid batt lasting longer.
    I guess if it's Toyota certiifed used with 1-yr warranty on batt that helps.

6. hippopotalust

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you all for your input so far. And for the welcome from bisco :)

JC - I would like to avoid buying a car with the intention of buying a new battery if at all possible. For 2.5k more I can probably get a 2010 model in the area - better idea? I plan to have the battery checked by a Toyota mechanic, but I do not know how effective that will be.

Catgic - I cannot find that particular car on KBB. I would like to see this car if anything to use it as a bargaining tactic.
    I am aware of a listing for a 07 in Florence that the dealership claims has 34K, but the carfax says 46K and the dealership won't reply when we question the discrepancy.
    At least 2/3 of the prius' available locally have been in an accident, which I would like to avoid.

wjtracy - it s not certified used with a 1-yr warranty on the battery as far as I know...?

7. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $10K seems a little steep for an 8 year old Prius even with low miles.

But if you must have one, we understand.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ..certified used would be from a Toyota dealer I think

9. hippopotalust

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not at a Toyota dealer... and if I understand the carfax correctly, it doesn't qualify for certified pre-owned (which may be why it is at the ford/ mazda dealership and not at toyota across the way!).
    It isn't at a toyota

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is the maintenance log? toyota dealer, or owner scribbling?

11. hippopotalust

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I was getting emails from the sales man even though he knew I was taking it to the mechanic on Tuesday to come take another look and 2 hours later they had sold it to someone else.

So that decision has been made for me. May be a blessing in disguise though, I've found a very nice 2010, higher mileage, but about the same price as the asking for the '06.