1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy a 2005 Toyota Prius with 175K miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Nikolas900, Oct 3, 2024 at 10:29 AM.

1. Nikolas900

Nikolas900 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hello,

The private seller of this car is the second owner since new. The car has been serviced at a local Toyota dealership (also by the previous -first- owner) with service records showing punctual maintenance. As a result I know mileage hasn't been tampered with. The hybrid battery has been changed two years ago at the dealership. From reading around I see that a major risk lies with the generator (MG1). Is there a way to see if it's going out?

Price is quite reasonable for the Greek market (where I live), c. $6.5K.

I can have a mechanic check the ICE to determine if it's solid, but what risks am I taking with the hybrid "part" of a car of this age and mileage?

(I have a good understanding of ICE car, this would however be my first hybrid and I'm totally wet behind the ears)

Any help very much appreciated.

bisco likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Usually in the States problems with the motor generators inside the transmission are quite rare I don't know what's going on in Greece but should be similar so I don't know where you're reading about the motor generator problem but maybe read about it here in a few places anyway I have four of these cars and I've never dealt with any of the motor generator business the one NZ engine is very solid and reliable and been used in many other Toyota models and Scion models and then it's gas counterpart with a CVT or regular transmission is as a pretty well made Stout engine all that happens to it for hybrid duty as it gets the FXE designation so it has the Atkinson cycle that's not a normal four cycle engine It's a little dirtier different camshafts and has the CVT with the electric motors in it and a battery in the back and a buttload of computers usually it's computer problems communication problems the dash display for your transmission gas gauge and speed is a common issue and the break actuator going out under the hood that handles your braking. The brake business can be very expensive although in Greece and a few places like that I see there's plenty of parts available from places not too far away that you can probably do a lot better than we can here in the United States so there's always that I don't know what you'll be doing with the car in Greece cab duty just regular house duty business delivery don't know but it's a very good car this is the one you want You don't want the generation 3 or forward stay with the generation too and you'll have a happy life move up to the three and the four and maybe not so happy You won't get the mileage out of those that you will get out of the one you're looking at It's a much more solid car Just closing the door getting in it if you can't tell then well you're just not that type of a person I guess but what you're looking at is barely broken in good.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's likely a very good car, but who will repair the hybrid bits if necessary?