1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy a 2007 Prius extended warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lakarina, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Lakarina

Lakarina New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    HI I just bought my 2007 Prius last month. I purchased an extended warranty by Ford Lincoln (can be used at any toyota dealership) for $1370 for 2 years or 24,000 miles. The warranty is for the used extra care which includes Powertrain care and base care. Is it worth it? or should I just put my money in savings? Also my mileage is 110,157
    I am wondering if anyone has had to use their warranty and If fixing Prius's are as expensive as they make it out to be. Ideally I could cancel my policy and put it in an interest bearing account

#1 Lakarina, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! no, put it into savings, those warranty's are a scam. all the best.(y)

kenoarto and Lakarina like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    is it too late to be asking this question 1 month after the purchase? You should keep it in savings, that's a lot of money

kenoarto likes this.
  4. Lakarina

Lakarina New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    no by law I can cancel at any time and receive reimbursement

kenoarto likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chances are you won't need the warranty and if you do, it will most likely be for the hv battery. Those warranties usually don't cover hv batteries so it seems it may have little use for the next 24,000 miles.

If a repair does come up within that time frame, I don't think it would exceed the amount you're paying for the warranty......unless the car is a piece of crap

kenoarto likes this.
  6. Lakarina

Lakarina New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three

HAHA! I hope its not, I haven't taken it to mainteneince yet, But will be doing that shortly just to check out fluids etc. I figure I'm driving to Disney in Sept from Texas I'll keep it till after my trip!

kenoarto likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if you can afford it and it gives you peace of mind....then just keep it. I would keep it in savings if you were to really need the money

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    east or west?

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The overwhelming advice whenever anyone asks about extended warranties is usually: No don't do it, not worth it.

I'd say, even though I myself have never purchased a used car warranty or an extended warranty, I'm a little more open to the idea of someone actually buying one and keeping it.

Especially with a Prius, Hybrid, I think the key is to know EXACTLY what is covered and what is not. Including the HV Battery.
    Then if you feel good about the coverage vs. investment? Keep it if you wish.

Either choice is neither 100% right nor 100% wrong. On a 8 model year old hybrid the chances that you spend more than $1370 on maintenance in 2 years does exist. Wouldn't take too many failures of too many systems to surpass that cost.

But REALLY the key is knowing what you are buying. If Ford/Lincoln is selling you this warranty and telling you it can be used at ANY Toyota dealership, then I have to think it is NOT a Toyota warranty and is simply a generic warranty. I'd want to read the fine print as to what is actually covered, especially in relationship components specific to a hybrid.

Conceivably the reason people purchase extended warranties is for peace of mind. But that peace of mind is only possible if the warranty is actually any good.

Money in the bank of course covers anything that might come up. And you don't have to check with "Money" to see if it covers whatever component may be broken or at end of life.

Lakarina, kenoarto and JC91006 like this.
  10. cipsaz187

cipsaz187 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I also purchased the extended warranty. Time will tell if it was worth it or not. Given a second chance I would pass on the warranty.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a difference between an OEM (factory) warranty and the garbage that they sell at the seedier dealerships.

What you've probably........almost certainly purchased is repair coverage, and it probably has more caveats, exceptions, exemptions, and exclusions than Aluminum level government health care coverage.

It's expensive, it's probably an inferior product, and you'll probably knock down 24,000 miles more quickly that you think you will.

Your call.
    If you keep it, read every line of print on every scrap of paper that they gave you with this coverage and do some internet research to find out what's covered and what's not.

Good Luck!

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    yes