1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy a 2010 Prius IV with 131000 miles?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Veronica17, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Veronica17

Veronica17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I sold my 2010 silver prius II with 122400 miles two days ago and I need another car asap! I'm trying to decide if I should by a 2010 prius IV with 131000 miles that has all the bells and whistles I want and didn't have with my last prius. I sold my prius for $7700 ($700 above KBB fair purchase price) and this new prius with131000 is $10900 (which is the KBB fair purchase price). It's got the moonroof, solar roof, heated leather seats, navigation, back up camera, premium sound, etc. My other option is to spend $17K on a 2012 Prius III with only 34K miles. It has the same bells and whistles, minus heated leather seats and premium sound. I can't decide. Please help!!!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll jump in: why'd you sell it?

3. Veronica17

Veronica17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm kinda regretting it now, but mainly because I wanted some features like navigation and bluetooth. My car is my office on wheels and it would be nice to have those features. My husband recently got a 'new' honda pilot with heated leather seats and a sunroof, and I started wanting a car with those features too! :) I also was financing the old prius at too high of a rate (over 10%) and I knew I could get a better car at a lower rate somewhere else, and my payment would be the same or less. Side note > I average 25,000 miles a year, so I'll be putting some miles on it. In three years, that 131000 miles will be 206000 miles. Am I looking at a new battery possibly? What problems/issues can I expect on a prius with 200K+ miles??? Will I be able to sell it for anything in 3-4 years?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, I would opt for the 2012 if my budget would allow it. Reasons, mainly warranty on hybrid parts and possible battery replacement and/or other needed repairs on high mileage 2010 which would not have a decent resale value later on.

Best of luck to you, and "Welcome to Prius Chat"!

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you drive 25K a year...low mileage used...of the choices given. BTW...Bluetooth and Garmin are easy add-ons to almost anything you drive...as are heated leathers. Sun roofs are a waist of money.

6. TrueKnight

TrueKnight New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm new to the forums as I just bought a 2015 Prius Two. I was considering the Prius Five with all the bells and whistles but the nearly $10k in price tag difference did not justify the extra amenities. In the end, a Prius Five still drives like a Prius Two. A basic 2015 Prius Two is already fairly well equipped compared to other sub $20k vehicles. You already get Bluetooth, back-up camera, keyless driver door entry, etc. PLUS, why would you spend $17k for a USED 2012 when you can get a NEW 2015 Prius Two for $19k + tax and tags? (I'm assuming your $17k used does not include taxes and tags?) Go to cars [d0t_c0m] and you'll see a bunch. Prices for these 2015 models are even cheaper on the East coast versus the West coast. I wish I can take advantage of the pricing on the East coast. Oh and from what I read on these forums, the built-in navigation for the Three isn't very good.

7. Veronica17

Veronica17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: I told the dealer that I'd buy the (131000) car if he'd come down to $10100, but I'm still waiting to see if he'll take that deal. If he declines, I'll go with the other car with 34k miles for 17k.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kind of sounds like you pulled the rug out from under yourself.

Good Luck with whatever Prius you end up with next.

If it's at all avoidable, it's never good to put yourself in a position where you need a vehicle ASAP. Sometimes it happens in life through accident or no choice but otherwise? Why corner yourself into needing to make a decision on the fly?

I personally wouldn't sell a 2010 that I had a history with, knowing it's mechanical state, and then buy another HIGHER mileage 2010 just to get some bells and whistles.

Navigation systems and Blue Tooth are all things easily added aftermarket.

BUT? Your money, your choice.

Hope the new vehicle is reliable, and you enjoy the bells and whistles.

9. Veronica17

Veronica17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Like I said, I'm regretting it. I thought I knew for sure I was getting the other Prius when I thought the miles were about the same as my old Prius, but found out after I sold my car that it now had 7k more miles. The idea was to get the bells and whistles on the same car, in white, my preferred color, at a better interest rate, so my payment would be the same or less. Basically, I'm paying 3k for bells and whistles on the same awesome car, but in the color I want. I'm sure adding navigation, Bluetooth, heated leather is possible aftermarket, but I couldn't finance that, it would come out of my pocket. I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap either.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, i hope you get what you want. all the best!(y)

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Put a decent Garmin and hands-free Bluetooth in my last car before passing it down as my Son's first...for about $175. Water under the bridge now though. We wish you the best.

Veronica17 likes this.
  12. Veronica17

Veronica17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I feel like an idiot. I should've kept my old prius. Live and learn, I guess. I'm still reeling from my moms death a few months ago. Not the best at making decisions these days. :(

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We all make mistakes in life. As long as we learn from them...

Don't be so hard on yourself ;)

Veronica17 likes this.
  14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry for your loss.
    If your credit is such, consider maybe a new 2015 while they still last. The interest rates are always lower on new car purchases vs used...and the 2015 will cost less than a 2016.

Veronica17 likes this.
  15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    For someone who "lives in their car" why buy another car with even more miles than your previous one? Spend the doh (pun intended) on the one with less miles. Work them hard, hybrids aren't hot sellers right now with super low gas prices.

I loved my solar roof feature.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just say to yourself: I'm here now, can't go back, look out for the next time.

So sorry for your mom.

Veronica17 likes this.
  17. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have three days to back out of the deal.

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have the freedom to spend your money and use your credit any way you wish.

I'm admittedly NOT a big Bells and Whistles guy. My vehicles have always been spartan. I've got a Prius Two, with a plug in Garmin, and that pretty much gives me everything I would want.

LOL...I even have a seat insert/cover that I can plug in and it heats up for winter...with optional massage. I think it cost me all of 35-40 dollars.

I wouldn't of made the move.....but it's your choice.

19. Veronica17

Veronica17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you saying I can back out the deal from selling my car two days ago?

20. Veronica17

Veronica17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good to know about the solar roof! Living in Mississippi, it gets HOT here! That'll be a nice feature. I'm currently looking into another Prius IV with all the same features as the one I love with 131000 miles, except this one only has 47K miles and it's a year newer. It's silver like my old car, instead of my desired white, but silver is my 2nd choice. I'm trying to get it for $15K. Wish me luck!