1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy a high-mileage used prius? Can/should I get a warranty for it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by feivel, Jun 8, 2007.

?
  1. Great deal - run!

33.3%
  2. Good car, mediocre deal - offer less

66.7%
  3. Bad car, bad price - run away.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. feivel

feivel Junior Member

I've been wanting a prius for a long time, and it's finally time to go for it, I think. New ones are something like 23k+ OTD. High-mileage ones (75k-100k miles) while rare, are available for around 13-15k. The price difference is huge, so I'm wondering why NOT to get one of these.

A) Can you get a warranty on them? How, and can anyone suggest how much it cost them?

B) How do you know what the hybrid factory warranty is? I'm in PA, but looking at a Prius in MD (which apparently has California emissions standards), so is it 100k (PA) or 150k (MD) on the battery for me?

C) What sort of problems do I need to look for when I go there or ask on the phone?

Part of the goal of a prius is to know that I'm saving money while wasting less energy. A high-mileage prius may be the perfect combo, if I can minimize the risk a little. Thanks so much for your advice!

2. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was in the same boat a few months ago.

I actually test drove an '02 with 100k miles and she was willing to take $10,000 for it. It has some paint stains on the interior and some touch-up paint on the outside but wasn't all bad.

Cars like these could make a great buy. 100k on a Prius is supposed to be a non-issue.

Part of what swayed me though was that the earlier ones, while I like the looks of the body design, they are sedans with back seats that don't fold down. That limits their versatility if you ask me. They also have a less-efficient hybrid system than the newer ones.

After a lot of deliberation, I went with a new '07 package 1. They had a special for 24 months at 0%, I bought it just before the tax breaks cut in half again, and the dealer beat another dealer's price so it came to $21,500, I think. I'm hoping after the tax refund it will be around $17,000.

While it took me a while to get used to the looks of the hatchback, I'm really glad I got one. The hatch with folding rear seats lets you pile in all kinds of stuff that wouldn't easily fit in the sedan, like bikes, tv's, lawn mowers, etc. The new Hybrid Synergy Drive lets you get 60 mpg in the summer before it's even broken in. And the looks are really starting to grow on me.

Have fun,

Eric

3. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(feivel @ Jun 8 2007, 07:54 AM) [snapback]457950[/snapback]</div>
    I found a few that that ahd less than 30,000 miles so they still had a partial warrenty. I paid $17,900 for a 2005 with 22,000. Use the auto search web sites and check every week.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(feivel @ Jun 8 2007, 07:54 AM) [snapback]457950[/snapback]</div>
    a. I don't believe you can buy an extended warranty on a used car. Even if you could it is only going to cover up to 100,000 miles.

b. I didn't know MD adopted CARB standards. (If so, the sticker on the new car will show a 150,000 mile warranty.) NJ did. I would first ask the dealer then ask your county or state Consumer Affairs office. The extra 50,000 miles is on the hybrid components which include the traction battery.

c. I will defer to the more technically inclined.

I would say that a Prius with 100,000 miles is just getting brokn in. ;)

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have a 2001 Prius and "a certain fondness" for that model. But I have to say that additional reports of transmission failures, while few, are beginning to concern me.

Toyota still does not specify changing the transmission fluid on any particular schedule, but several of us owners do, for both models. 60k miles or perhaps less.

What this means to the used Prius shopper, is perhaps to have the fluid analyzed and purchase only if it is 'clean enough" (negotiable). In the classic model, the trans pan can also be removed and inspected for metal bits.

What this means to all other Prius owners is that I am nagging again: Please consider changing that fluid.

6. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Before you buy anything used- do a carfax to see if wrecks, Hurricane Katrina(remember they went everywhere after the hurricane), etc. www.carfax.comwww.carfax.com- just need the VIN.