1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy the extended warranty? Help me decide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by discoganya, Dec 28, 2007.

1. discoganya

discoganya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just bought a Super White Package 5 from Dublin Toyota for 24k even. Rang up to a little more than 26K out the door.

The sales guy really wants me to buy the extended warranty ... $984 for 7yr/100K ... about the same price that Danny is offering.

So, is it worth it? Anyone ever had an out of warranty repair bill in the thousands? (I have searched, but found no one with excessive repair bills)

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Search thread titles only for the word "warranty".

There's a new thread on this same topic every month or two.

Your question has been answered and discussed many times before.

3. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on how long you intend to own the car and what type of person you are.

If you don't plan on owning the car that long, I would say no. It won't really add much value when you attempt to sell.

If you do plan on keeping the car for a while, are you the type of person who likes insurance? If so, get it. If you would rather gamble, don't get it.

That said, Toyota makes awesome cars that are known for their durability.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are arguments for and against. Like Boo suggested, a thorough search should help you.

But whatever you do, there's no hurry. You can purchase the warranty any time before the basic 3 yr/36K factory warranty expires. I suggest you wait until then. A lot could change between now and then.

5. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Statistically no you should not buy it. They're making money from selling the warranties which means on average the warranties cost the consumer more than they give back; otherwise the warranty company would be loosing money. However if you're one of those people that thinks they would prefer to be out the $1k now to save more later in the event you're one of the few who really need the warranty, then go for it. In the end it's about what helps you sleep at night. :)

That said; be sure to read the warranty documentation that came with the car. I just bought an 08' and the dealer completely lied about the stock warranty coverage while trying to sell me an extended warranty. He said the only hybrid part covered for longer than 3-yr/36k-mi was the battery, but this is entirely not true (the hybrid parts are covered for much longer). Be sure to read the warranty booklet (it's short) before you buy any extended warranties so that you really know what you are paying for.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. discoganya

discoganya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks guys for the info. I'm going to hold off on the warranty purchase. Got 3 years 36K miles to decide.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm doing the same thing.

About the only thing you get for buying the Platinum Care warranty now is roadside assistance --- something that's highly unlikely you'll need during the first 3 yrs/36k miles, and something that you may already have through your car insurance or one or more of your credit cards, or if you're already a member of an automobile club like AAA.

Also, 3 years from now you'll have a better picture of how the car holds up, and exactly which extended warranty package to get (which can save you another $100 - $200).

Congrats and good luck.

9. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am in the same situation. Now that I know I can purchase the warranty anytime before the basic warranty expires, it is no brainer that I should hold-off on the purchase and use the money somewhere else or just save it for now.

:cool:

10. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    so the extended warranty is no longer offered in the shop here? now you have to go to the "warrantyshack" ?? who is this, and who is selling these warranties?:confused:

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is just another way to buy it from Troy.

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The extended warranty is still sold through PriusChat, it's just that with the new software the links for it are no longer on the top of each page. You have to go directly to the sticky extended warranty thread.

If I remember correctly, the links and the sticky extended warranty thread always led you to warrantyshack.com anyway.

Troy is Troy Dietrich of warrantyshack.com/Toyota of Greenfield, MA.