1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy this 2001 Prius? Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LarryRacies, Mar 9, 2007.

1. LarryRacies

LarryRacies New Member

My son, impressed by my ravings about my 2006, has located a 2001 with 130k miles on it for $7500.
    He says it seems to be in good shape. Is this a good deal for him?
    Thanks in advance. :unsure:

2. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LarryRacies @ Mar 9 2007, 05:14 PM) [snapback]403020[/snapback]</div>
    Has he taken it to a mechanic? I would have a Toyota dealer to a pre-buyer inspection. I think they charge $100 for that. There are a lot of things to check on these cars. Like after 6 years does the battery need to be replaced?

I'd love to get a second hand Prius as a second car, but my 1991 Corolla LE is in such amazing condition with only 114k miles on it, I think I'll keep it another 5 years or so. It only gets driven about 50-75 miles a month anyway as a second car.

Dave

3. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If you have AAA, you can take it to a Car Clinic (or similar) AAA offers a used car buying service, where a qualified mechanic (usually a local participant) inspects your car and gives you a print out of the findings. You can use the results for your negotiations.

Also make use of Kelly Blue Book based on a quick questionaire I filled out it lists:

Private Party Pricing
    Condition Value

Excellent $10,260
    Good $9,400
    Fair $8,285

Also get a service record that shows regular maintenance, oil/filter change etc. My 2001 is at 118k and its running great!

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I would want to know about the HV battery reseal, whether the engine control module had been replaced, and/or the power steering and crankshaft position sensor.

Some need new accelerator pedals (or used rebuilt ones from me :D ).

Some of the above issues pertain to 2001 and not the later two years. IMHO best thing about waiting for a 2002 to come along is the possibility of the optional side air bags.

Based on a few cars with 'issues', I would want to make the purchase of a used Prius conditional on good condition of the transmission fluid.