1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

should i buy this 2004 Prius??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by track 1, Jan 23, 2007.

1. track 1

track 1 New Member

2. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

That seems like a good buy! Esp with all of the options... Thought i would just get a 2007 package 2 for a few grand more... better warranty and you can choose your color combo!

3. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCodPrius @ Jan 23 2007, 09:28 PM) [snapback]379828[/snapback]</div>
    It does seem kinda sweet! I am amazed at how these maintain their value! I would like to see it in person though. >.>

4. track 1

track 1 New Member

could this be a scam?

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why is there only one key/remote? It should come with both as the replacement key/fob is hella expensive.

7. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Guys,

The market for the Prius is rapidly changing. With plenty of new Prius cars available on dealer's lots, the used market is also changing. If the price of gasoline doesn't suddenly change (like significantly higher), it will continue to be a buyer's market. The percentage drop in price of used Prius cars (as compared to the new price) will eventually approach that of most other cars.

Keith :unsure:

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Go look at the car. It could be a "flood car". Check under the seats for that. It could be a "writeoff repair". Check the records for that. If neither, then it's probably ok.

I still think, due to the low depreciation, it's better to buy Prius new.

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< The price seems "fair market" to me. I traded my '04 Prius equipped the same for $20,500 with 22K miles on the clock - for a 2007 Touring Edition with all the goodies. It would be worth the cost of a CarFAX report to be sure the car has not been wrecked or tagged "salvage." The mileage is VERY LOW for an '04, so expiry of the 3/36,000 bumper to bumper warranty is another factor to consider, In addition, the 2004's had a couple of computer "flashes," a steering column recall and a brake light switch replacement you'd need to investigate to be sure they were done - the customer care site on Toyota.com can verify what's been done given the VIN number.

If you're really interested, you might see if you could make a refundable "deposit" to get the time needed for the CarFax report and a check with Toyota to verify if the recalls have been done.

North Texas Toyota dealers are offering Prius discounts and have immediate delivery Prius in stock in choices of color and packages.

ONE ADDED THOUGHT: Replacing the missing #2 fob is expensive, could be as much as $300 bought from a Toyota dealer and programmed to the car. Some have managed to buy a fob on eBay discounted and paid to have it programmed to the Prius [only a dealer with the appropriate expensive scanner can to that].

10. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Price seems about right. A used car dealer here as a nice Red one with I think 26k on it for $18,000

11. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds about right to me too. I bought my '04 with just over 8k miles (thats right) a few months ago for $20k. It was a pkg #6, which in '04 was pretty much loaded minus Navigation. Like others have said, get the Carfax report and go check it out in person. I personally am not a big fan of white but the tinted windows make it look pretty sharp. If everything checks out and you like the color etc I would go for it.

I have a question. What is that display on the MFD? Does that say "Add Fuel"??? I don't recognize that screen.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Check to see if it's a salvage title.
    We got our '04 (all options) with 10K miles on it in 2004 for $18,500 plus $1,500 taxed and registered. We thought it was a deal. The seller was on leave from Iraq and decided to head to Canada rather than go back ... but that's another story.