1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Emilio Pagan-Yourno, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Emilio Pagan-Yourno

Emilio Pagan-Yourno New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is my first post. I currently do not own a Prius but have been looking to get one for my commute to work. I recently found a 2007 with 59k miles on craigslist. It is a rebuilt title due to flood damage. It is in great shape and I would not have been able to tell that it was in a flood. The seller bought it at an auction and is now looking to get $7,800. I drove it around and it seemed nice, it even had a backup camera which was cool.

Is this a good deal?
    What kinds of problems could I run into down the road if I do decide to purchase it? (I'm guessing electrical)
    What is the car worth and how much should I be paying?

I currently drive a 2000 XJ8 with 33k miles, hoping to get a Prius so that I can keep my XJ8 for the rest of my life. Hoping the Prius will last that long as well :)

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should avoid flood damage cars.....especially an electrical car. Also with a rebuilt title, the mileage may not be the original miles. I would avoid this at all costs.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, The only way I would gamble on a purchase like that?

Would be if I thought I could afford to lose everything on it.

The phrase "rebuilt title due to flood damage".....really not anything you want to deal with....

Add to it, that it was sold at auction and now is being resold for $7,800, which you have to think includes a profit for the person selling it now.

Determining a value on a vehicle without any reasonable way of really knowing it's entire history, is near impossible.

What you DO know about it, are only things that diminish it's value.

Right now, it's value is, it was bought at auction and is trying to be resold for $7,800...which would tell me it probably sold at auction for less.

If you are REALLY into fixing things, and DIY?
    Well I'd still avoid this.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have to agree with the above replies. Unless you are experienced with working on electronics that have been under water, and are prepared to continually battle with problems of corroded connectors, and more. This car is not for you. Remember also because of it's title although it has low millage Toyota will not support it in any way.

John (Britprius)

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Flood car can be a good project car if do the work yourself. Just clean and protect everything, including battery and all hv-electronics in a Prius. But you don’t want to buy something that somebody else fixed.

#5 valde3, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  6. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree--I wouldn't purchase with a salvage title. The flood damage can be big trouble. There could be moisture inside things that could wreak havoc after a while. It could experience ECU or inverter failures. The salvage title could make it difficult to insure. That price seems high for a salvage car, as well. I would keep looking.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess you have to weigh the disadvantages with the cost savings. what would a one owner, regularly serviced, no accident 07 with 60k be worth? are you in portugal? any idea what package it is? kbb shows $9700. here, in perfect condition. so you have to ask yourself, is it worth saving $1900. for a car with all the potential for disaster?

8. Emilio Pagan-Yourno

Emilio Pagan-Yourno New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to pass on this one but will continue my search for the Prius that is right for me.

I'm in West New York, New Jersey. The kbb value seems to be $8,285 for a fair conditioned Prius. Given that it was in a flood that's what I gave it although I don't think the kbb condition rating encompass a rebuilt title vehicle. It most definitely is not worth it.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. kennd

kennd New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Talk to your insurance agent. Under my policy, if a salvage vehicle is totaled...they pay you only 50% of retail blue book. So a salvage vehicle is worth only a little over this 50%...depending on its condition. But people try to sell them for way more...and succeed!