1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I change my BMW to a Prius?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Danryde, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Danryde

Danryde Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I've read the forums in stealth for a while now and registered today as I've found out Priuschat being THE place to learn from Prius.

Currently I own a 5-series diesel tourer which is a beautiful car in many aspects. Although, as a fundamental change to a more greener lifestyle, lower costs and general brand resistance, I am considering to buy a gen III 2010 Prius. I have a few questions before taking test drive.

1. Does the car have other changes made for colder winter environment than heated seats?
    2. I've read the nav is just horrible in the 2010 model, is it true? How awful? I'm pretty intolerant for bad/ugly user interfaces. Can it be updated or totally upgraded in any way? Entune retrofit? The nav is a serious deal breaker for me as we love our bimmers pro nav.
    3. Is the car silent enough to speak without raising your voice?
    4. I am 6'4", will I have problems sitting?
    5. Any downsides if I want to go nuts with the rim sizes? 18? 19?
    6. Generally would love to hear from other BMW converts to hear what is they miss and how they felt after the convert.
    7. How long can you go with just the battery? Any tricks/mods with the stock battery (I'm aware of the add on batteries)? Stealth mode?

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where in the World are you from? Just helps people tune their responses appropriately.

I guess it depends what you want out of a car as to whether you should change from the BMW, which is mainly a sports car. What sort of driving do you do? Where is it? City or Highway etc.

3. Danryde

Danryde Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive basically in the capital area of Finland which and the driving is pretty much 50/50 between city and motorway.

4. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a driving environment I think you will be disappointed. BMW 5 series is in every way more luxurious car than Prius.

1. Car heats up quite fast in the winter (uses exhaust gas heat), but your MPG will suffer more then A/C use in summer
    2. For NAV I use my phone, don't have it in car
    3. Car is very quiet at slow driving, it's also quiet at highway speed IF you don't floor it, then the engine is very loud. Of course BMW is quieter car inside in almost every situation.
    4. I have 180 cm and can seat normally, you could have problems if you adjust your seat for your legs, the wheel will be too far for you (the wheel is adjustable but not enough)
    5. Downside is ride comfort and fuel economy
    6. I haven't owned BMW
    7. In normal driving battery is used when the load (from your gas pedal) is very light, meaning you will never accelerate to city speed limit with battery alone (not efficient anyway) but you can sustain the speed of 60-70 kph on the flat ground. You must understand that battery energy is not free, it comes from ICE with conversion losses, battery is used only when ICE would have very low efficiency.

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Comments in bold below. For reference, I went from a '05 BMW 545i to a 2010 Prius V (US model with 17" wheels, JBL stereo, nav, leather, LED headlights, etc.)

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  6. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Dan, I would take the test drive and see what you yourself think, thats the best way to see if this is going to be right for you. I went as far as borrowing a coworkers prius for 3 days just to drive that model around in my normal work and pleasure just to see if it fits my commute, my hockey gear, and my model planes. and gives me an idea of what I would get fuel mileage wise. which went from 25mpg in my old vehicle, to 49mpg with a Prius. Granted I had a 1998 mercury mystique ls with a v6 leather seats and all, and bought a 2001 Prius, but i love my Prius, great mpg, quieter ride, smoother ride. does not compare to a BMW though.

If you can swing it, keep your BMW, and finance your prius, that way you have your BMW for really nice outings, dinners, business, and use your prius for work, long drives, or what you feel you would rather drive,

or sell your bmw privately, dont trade it in, you will get shafted by doing that, you will get much more for your bmw by selling it privately.The dealer is almost always going to get the better end if you trade in

I was going to trade my mercury in for the 01 prius, but they only wanted to give me $1200. I sold the car Wednesday privately for $2500 and am hanging onto that money in case i have any issues with the car.