1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I do aftermarket rims?

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by RJC, Aug 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RJC

RJC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So the tires are finally going to be up on my 2013 Prius C Two, habanero. I have pretty much stock everything except I did add the extendmyseat brackets to the driver side (TOTALLY WORTH IT!). I am thinking about doing aftermarket rims simply because the hubcaps are so boring. I would love OEM, but I think the aluminum rims are only 16 inches right? I want to stay as close to stock as possible to maintain my great mpg. It looks like you don't have much choice but to widen the rims to 6 or 6.5 inches. I am thinking 15x6.5. Anybody have experience with the effect on MPG? I live in a pretty good area and plan on using wheel locks, but are 15 inch rims less likely to be ripped off? Tire wise should I move to 185 vs 175? I have seen some people say you can mount the 175's on a 6.5 inch wide rim, but others say it isn't safe. Would be interested in what I should consider before making the plunge.

2. edspecR

edspecR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i have 195s on my 6.5, haven't seen much a difference in mpg's. as for your concerns over getting them stolen, you'd have to buy aftermarket lug nuts for aftermarket wheels anyway, might as well buy a locking set, or a set of wheel keys to help deter thieves--for example, i have heptagonal nuts as opposed to the typical hexagonal. no problems stretching tires, tho it'll look real funny on an otherwise stock car