1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I feel the Engine Kick on and off?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TimeFor, Oct 20, 2004.

1. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

When I come to a stop I can feel the whole car softly vibrate for a sec and then the motor shuts off. But some times after the display shows the motor off, the car softly vibrates for a long time... Almost the whole time I'm stopped. Its almost like the engine is trying to turn off but can't.

I don't know how the Prius system works so I don't know if this is normal or not... But It doesn't feel right.

Second... the Gas motor seems to kick on very quickly. Like at 8-9 MPH, regardless of how hard I push the pedal down. Its quite hard to keep it only on electric even at speeds of under 10 MPH. I thought the electric motor only came on at that speed under hard acceleration. or to charge the battery. But my batt is almost always over 1/2 full. Shouldn't the battery take me up to 25-30 MPH before the motor kicks in?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Newer car, right? It's normal, gets better with time and is more noticable in cooler weather.

3. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"46212)</div>
    The car has under 300 miles on it. But would this effect how the gas motor comes on so early. I'm kind of disappointed in my gas mileage this first tank. The dealer didn't charge the battery when I picked it up. I'm already down to two bars left and I only got 290 miles on this tank. At the rate its going I wont break 350. And I have been driving it cautiously. AC only ½ the time, and keeping it under 70.
    :(

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Read This

You're making me laugh...300 miles...come back after 3000 and lets chat. You're doing fine. They never 'charge the battery' at the dealer...there are only a few actual chargers in the US. There's so much to learn about technique and most of us are convinced the ECU is programmed to operate the car differently the first several hundred (?thousand) miles. Stealth is not an objective, it's a side effect. All will get better in time.
    --evan

5. Driftwood05BC

Driftwood05BC New Member

Also, make liberal use of the cruise control -- I've found, driving out of/into my neighborhood I'll be running the engine until I flip on cruise control at 25 MPH and take my foot off the accellerator. Goes immediately to all electric unless the engine is still warming up. It's very effective. I usually gain back 0.2-0.5 MPG on the average consumption display as I stealth into home...

Peter+

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In my experience, just under 1,100 miles, I rarely get the stealth mode on initial acceleration from a standing stop. After I get up to about 35 MPH and remain at that speed, if the engine is warm and the battery charge is right, the ICE will turn itself off and the car will be propelled strictly by the electric motor.

7. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This post makes me wonder if there's a difference in how the Prius breaks-in if you drive it for a long distance right away. I picked up my car on Friday, and it already has 1200 miles on it 'cause we drove it from Nashville to Austin. We didn't do anything to be mileage-friendly (ie, we were driving at 75 MPH with the AC on) and got 44-45 MPG. Easily over 400 miles on the first tank (maybe more... I didn't want to risk of being on 1 bar for very long with the scarcity of gas stations and not having experience with the "guess gauge"). Now that I'm back to city driving, I don't really notice the transition when ICE goes on and off, and the car does cycle into electric only on its own. I think I agree with 10132003, that initial acceleration generally requires ICE and then the car will decide whether to go into electric only or not.

8. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimeFor\";p=\"46211)</div>
    I guess you were in "Stage 3" defined on the following FAQ article.
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mod...de=article&k=14

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Electric-Only acceleration should not be an objective. That is not an efficient choice. Instead, take advantage of the gas engine. Save stealth (electric driving) for maintaining a cruise.

As for what you feel, patience. Break-In takes at least 7,500 miles. Also, note that once the engine stops, the coolant pumps continues for a little bit. Later, you'll feel that shut off too.

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The display does NOT show when the engine is running, only the power flow. It can be running but not sending power anywhere. It will do this at a stop when the battery SOC is fine but the engine is not warmed up enough.
    Something to get used to. I have about 850 on mine now. Sometimes the engine shutoff is almost unnoticeable, other times there is more vibration. - The stage 3 Ken mentioned.
    As noted elsewehere - normal. This is not an electric car. You can creep up in speed on battery alone on level surfaces with no one to annoy behind you but any attempt at anything close to even slow normal accelleration will kick the ICE on. "Just drive it" :)

I admit, I do get frustrated when I know I should be able to go electric only, and have been, then the ICE starts up as I go up a slight incline and it won't go back to stealth when I'm back on the flat even when I lift off the accellerator to no arrows, then push gently again expecting electric only to maintain speed.