1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I get a Blu-ray player?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Feb 1, 2009.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I watch movies on DVD with a projector. Image quality is pretty good, but not as good as in a movie theater. Yesterday someone was lamenting that his laptop has HD-DVD and (according to him) HD-DVD is no more. Gone the way of Beta videotape. So if the battle is done, and Blu-ray has won, I was pondering whether it's time to upgrade.

I have several doubts:

Is it true that Blu-ray has won the battle and is now the sole format for high-def video?

Those promos on DVDs for blu-ray list a rather limited number of available titles, and they're mostly movies I've already seen or am not interested in. How much stuff is really available? Is it worth it to upgrade?

They make a big deal about all the interactive stuff you can do with Blu-ray, but I don't like or want "interactive." I just think it would be nice to watch movies at higher resolution. I happened to have a recent Crutchfield catalog lying around, so as a first approximation, I see that the players range from $300 to $2,000.

What do folks think? Is it worth it? Is it just hype? Is it too early still? Any and all opinions welcome.

2. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes get it. The blu ray disc holds almost twice as much information that significantly enhances the picture and sound quality. The format war is over and Blu ray is the winner and so now is the consumer that can get these players at a decent price.

3. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep. HD-DVD is gone and Blu-ray is the winner.

If your projector is 1080i or even better 1080p you will see a great improvement over DVD. I use a 73" 1080p DLP and blu-ray movies do look amazing. Most movies come out concurrently as DVD and Blu-ray so selection is becoming less of an issue.

Like you I couldn't care less about the interactive features. Movies just look awesome at native 1080p.

You probably know this but projectors are kind of tricky. Their native resolution is rarely the native resolution of DVDs (480P) HD (1080i) or Blu-ray (1080p). I would suggest to look into a cheap blu-ray PC that will let you scale movies to the exact resolution of the projector. A PITA but worth it IMHO.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, that was just the first major battle.

DVD vs HD

That's the actual war, which continues. Non-disc delivery is the contender now.... downloads. Meanwhile, 83% of the disc market is still held by DVD.

Blu-Ray is great, if you have the viewing technology to actually see the benefit. With only a small screen and slow refresh, the experience is similar to well upconverted DVD. But since Blu-Ray will likely replace DVD anyway, in boils down to when to spend and how much.

Good luck.

5. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the maximum resolution of your projector? If the projector can't display a high resolution image, it doesn't make sense to use a high resolution source.

If you usually rent movies, go to your rental place and look at their collection of Blu-ray discs. Are you going to end up renting DVDs and playing them on the Blu ray player?

I'm waiting for the price of a good player to drop in half again before I buy one, then maybe the local rental place will have a nice collection of discs to rent.

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is really dumb, but I cannot find anywhere in the manual a simple statement of my projector's resolution, unless it's within this attachment. I see references to 1080/60i, which I assume means 1080i; and 1080/24PsF, but next to that one is 1080/48i so maybe that's still 1080i, not "p" even though there's a "P" in the "PsF."

I'm guessing it's 1080i, and not the 1080p that Alric refers to as being better. I do not know what the difference is.

The projector is a Sony Cineza VPL HS51, and there's a sticker on it that says 3LCD. It's a pretty good projector, much better than the one it replaced a few years ago, which in turn was 4 or 5 years old.

As for downloads, I'm under the impression that downloads nowadays are not even as good as DVDs. I belong to NetFlix, but their instant play requires you to install a Microsoft program, and I will not do that. Many years ago I had a subscription to an on-line encyclopedia, and for some reason something I signed up for required me to install something, I think it was Microsoft ".Net" or something, and that killed my encyclopedia subscription halfway through its term. When I got my iMac I swore I would never install a MS program on my computer again.

In principle I like the idea of downloads, and I buy Teaching Company lecture series and audiobooks by download, but until downloaded movies can match the video quality of physical medium I'll stick to the latter.

Anyway, please keep the suggestions coming.

Are prices coming down pretty fast, or have they pretty much stabilized?

Attached Files:

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That'll be 1080i at 60fps if I'm not mistaken.

The PS3's price is coming down in March... so I'd wait for a few months and see if other BD Players follow suit and lower their price.

8. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Daniel..

I found this review for your projector.

Sony Cineza HS-51 LCD Video Projector-AVRev.com

"I was particularly impressed and surprised that the HS-51 was able to easily sync with my Apple G4 computer’s video card, creating a wide screen desktop resolution of 1280 x 768 WXGA, a vast improvement over the previously crippled operating systems found in so many wide screen projectors."

Like that guy did a PC will give you the best image. Your projector's resolution is higher than 1080p. This forces an upscaling by the projector that may degrade image quality.

Unfortunately the only way right now to play a blu-ray on a PC is within windows. Like you I am a Mac guy but I made an exception for my home theater. :)

Cheers!

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Are you saying that a PC would give me a better picture on this projector from a Blu-ray disc than would an actual Blu-ray player? Would the difference be great enough to justify the additional cost for the PC? In my house, such a PC would be nothing more than a disc player.

10. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The specs I found said your projector is 1280x720 native. So that means the best you could see is 720p. Anything else would be scaled down. Unless you upgrade to an expensive 1080i or 1080p native projector I think upgrading to Blue-ray would not be worth it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

11. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    IF the projector is native at 720p then at you won't see all the goodness of bluray on a large (over 50") projected image. But native 720p TV's / projectors that are 50" or smaller probably look as good as 1080p TVs at a distance of 8' or more when showing bluray. I just picked up the Sony S350 for $220 last month. It also upscales DVDs well.

12. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I second the vote for a PlayStation 3 if you want to purchase a Blu-ray player. It's like getting a blu-ray player with a gaming function for free. I would suggest, however, getting the separate PlayStation 3 remote if you go down this path.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A free gaming station is worth exactly zero to me. The only game that interests me is chess, and no special gaming computer is needed for that. In fact, I'd kind of like to have a really weak and slow computer to play chess on. :D

What's the difference between 1080i and 1080p? And what's the actual resolution of Blu-ray?

14. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought a blu ray player for the express purpose of getting the BBC's Planet Earth (the original, narrated by Sir David Attenborough, not the US version, narrated by Susan Sarandan). IMHO, this series displayed on a 1080p lcd is absolutely incredible, and certainly seems like something that would interest you, Daniel. That being said, unless you have a display to take advantage of the high def picture, it is likely a waste of money.

15. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing that really matters. Here is a quote from this website.
    1080i vs. 1080p HDTV: should you care? - Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews

16. harmonsmith

harmonsmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Blue ray quality is much better then DVD but the player cost much

17. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just picked that up cheap on ebay. A must have. (Sigourney Weaver narrated the US version, I believe).

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Go get it and the Planet Earth Series in Blu-Ray you won't be sorry. The PS3 also plays the newer HD/Lossless(?) audio formats. other than that I don't know much about the newer audio stuff. It's pretty hard to tell or see the difference between 1080 v. 720 resolution on screens smaller that 50 inches. The PS3 also upscales regular DVD to higher resolution 720p(?) and runs a Folding@Home client.

Wildkow

19. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    if your going to get a blue ray player. my advice is to get a brand name unit, put it on a credit card that doubles your manufactures warranty, and make sure that company will support your blue ray player with bios updates.

the hdmi cables are really overpriced. like $65, and they may or may not be better then the hdmi cables you can buy off the internet for $12

you might be able to have some features if you buy the same brand of blue ray player that your tv is, like samsungs wiselink or whatever

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    LCD technology has improved quite a bit since that article was written, over 3 years ago.